英语范文背诵20篇14 A Rare Fossil Record精品学案

2013高考英语复习精品学案(文本):英语范文背诵20篇14 A Rare

Fossil Record

14 A Rare Fossil Record The preservation of embryos and juveniles is a rate occurrence in the fossil record. The tiny, delicate skeletons are usually scattered by scavengers or destroyed by weathering before they can be fossilized. Ichthyosaurs had a higher chance of being preserved than did terrestrial creatures because, as marine animals, they tended to live in environments less subject to erosion. Still, their fossilization required a suite of factors: a slow rate of decay of soft tissues, little scavenging by other animals, a lack of swift currents and waves to jumble and carry away small bones, and fairly rapid burial. Given these factors, some areas have become a treasury of well-preserved ichthyosaur fossils. The deposits at Holzmaden, Germany, present an interesting case for analysis. The ichthyosaur remains are found in black, bituminous marine shales deposited about 190 million years ago. Over the years, thousands of specimens of marine reptiles, fish and invertebrates have been recovered from these rocks. The quality of preservation is outstanding, but what is even more impressive is the number of ichthyosaur fossils containing preserved embryos. Ichthyosaurs with embryos have been reported from 6 different levels of the shale in a small area around Holzmaden, suggesting that a specific site was used by large numbers of ichthyosaurs repeatedly over time. The embryos are quite advanced in their physical development; their paddles, for example, are already well formed. One specimen is even preserved in the birth canal. In addition, the shale contains the remains of many newborns that are between 20 and 30 inches long. Why are there so many pregnant females and young at Holzmaden when they are so rare elsewhere? The quality of preservation is almost unmatched and quarry operations have been carried out carefully with an awareness of the value of the fossils. But these factors do not account for the interesting question of how there came to be such a concentration of pregnant ichthyosaurs in a particular place very close to their time of giving birth. [NoPage]

- 1 -

 

第二篇:C2_Franklins Fossil 小乌龟学美语文本

Franklin’s Fossil

富兰克林的化石

它是什么?

What is it?

真是个好想法!

That’s a good idea.

先不要进来,我们需要准备一下.

Don’t come in yet, we have to get ready.

这个很有趣.

Now this is interesting.

我想要回我的小甜饼.

I want my cookies back.

海狸说的很对,这不值两个小甜饼.

Beaver was right, this isn’t worth two cookies.

我们今天学到很多东西.

We really learned a lot today.

Franklin could count by twos, and tie his shoes.

富兰克林已经学会奇偶数了,他还学会了自己系鞋带。

He could read the books that his friends gave him and drink the lemonade that they made for him on hot summer days.

他读书, 朋友们送给他的书,也会喝朋友们给他做的柠檬水,在炎热的夏天. But one day, Franklin learned that giving back is an important part of friendship too.

但是,有一天,富兰克林明白了回增也是很重要的.也是友谊的一部分. Here goes Mars!

火星来了.

Woo hoo!

呜唬!

All the planets are in orbit.

所有的行星都在轨道上了.

Uh-oh.

哎呀!

Jupiter’s spinning out of control, Bear!

木星转得失去控制了,小熊!

It’s heading for Saturn!

它朝着土星的方向过去了!

They’re going to hit!

它们要相撞了!

Look out Earth!

小心啊,地球!

Venus is heading straight for you!

金星正朝你直奔过去了!

Ahhhh!

啊……!

There goes another planet!

另外一颗行星也过来了!

My goodness.

天哪!

The solar system is getting to be a very crowed place these days. 太阳系变得很拥挤啊!尤其是这些日子.

We’re playing Space Tops.

我们在玩儿宇宙陀螺呢!

Each one is a different planet.

每个陀螺代表一个行星.

That one’s Jupiter.

那个是木星.

Hmmm…I found one of those in my cereal box just the other day. 嗯……,我发现了一个陀螺.在我得谷箱中,就在前两天. You did?

真的吗?

What colour was it?

什么颜色的?

Let me see it was purple I think.

我想想是紫色的.

Purple!

紫色的!

That’s Pluto!

那是冥王星!

Are you ever lucky!

你可真幸运啊!

Is that so?

是吗?

Why, I had no idea.

我不了解这些东西.

It’s the only one we’re missing.

那是唯一一个丢失了的陀螺!

Well, you can’t have a solar system without a full set of planets. 哦,那可不能算是太阳系啊,如果没有一整套行星的话. Perhaps you two would be interested in having it.

或许你们两个有兴趣要它.

Wow! We sure would!

哇! 我们当然有兴趣!

Gee,thanks Mr.Mole.

天啊,谢谢你,鼹鼠先生.

Come over sometime and I’ll give it to you .

有时间过来吧,我会给你们的.

Goodbye boys.

再见了,孩子们.

Bye Mr. Mole.

再见,鼹鼠先生.

See you later.

回头见!

When should we go get it?

我们什么时候去拿?

Let’s go right now.

现在就去.

Franklin…aren’t you supposed to be filling that basket with potatoes? 富兰克林……你是不是应该挖一篮土豆?

Uh…Oh yeah.

嗯……,哦,是的.

I guess I forgot.

我忘了。

I’ll dig them for you as soon as I get back from Mr. Mole’s. 我一回来就给你挖,我先去趟鼹鼠先生家。

Well, I suppose I could always cook brussels sprouts for supper instead. 哦,那样的话,我想就只能用球芽甘蓝来做晚饭了。

That’s okay Mom.

好的,妈妈。

I’ll get your potatoes right away. 我马上就给你挖土豆。 Whew.

哟!

That’s was a close one. 好险啊!

How come?

为什么?

Don’t you like Brussels sprouts? 你难道不喜欢球芽甘蓝吗? Huh?

哎?

Hey!

嘿!

Wait up, Franklin.

等等,富兰克林。

Here’s another one.

又有一个土豆!

It’s really dirty.

这个可真够脏的呀。 No problem.

没问题。

Ahhh!

啊!

Oops!

啊呀!

You’re supposed to be washing off the potatoes, Bear, not us! 你应该冲土豆,可不是冲我们呀,小熊。

Hey.

看!

This isn’t a potato.

这不是个土豆。

Look.

看。

Wow!

哇!

What is it?

是什么?

It’s the hardest potato I’ve ever seen.

好硬的“土豆”啊,是我见过的最硬的。

Dad!

爸爸!

What you’ve found boys is a fossil of some type. 孩子们,你们发现的这个是某种化石。

Wow!

哇!

A fossil!

化石!

You mean like a dinosaur?

你的意思是像恐龙什么的?

Well, no…

嗯……不……

Lost of different animals can turn into fossils.

很多动物都可以变成化石。

What kind of animal was this one?

那这是一种什么动物呢?

I’m not sure…but maybe the next time we take a trip to the museum we can find out.

我不太确定……或许下次我们去博物馆的时候能弄明白。

They have all sorts of fossils on display.

那儿有各种各样的化石在陈列。

Hey Bear, maybe we should display our fossil.

嘿,小熊,也许咱们也该展览一下咱们的化石。

That’s good idea.

好主意。

We could pretend to have our own museum.

我们可以假装开一个自己的博物馆。

We don’t have to pretend.

不用假装。

We can find a bunch of other neat things and have a real museum!

我们可以找到其他一些好东西,开一个真正的博物馆。

Yeah!

好啊!

In your livingroom!

就在你家的起居室里。

Why don’t you open your museum in the shed out back?

为什么不在后面的棚子里开博物馆呢?

The lighting is better.

那儿的光线好多了。

There’s plenty of parking for bicycles along the fence.

还有足够的地方停自行车,沿着篱笆边。

And I think you might find some old objects out there worth displaying. 你可能还会找到其他一些旧东西值得展出的。

Good idea, Dad!

爸爸,好主意!

Thanks Mr.Turtle!

谢谢您,乌龟先生。

Thanks a lot Mr.Mole.

多谢了,鼹鼠先生。

You’re most welcome boys.

孩子们,千万别客气。

Gee Bear, we’ve finally got Pluto.

天哪,小熊,我们终于得到冥王星了。

Yeah.

是啊。

Finally we can eat different cereal for breakfast.

我们终于把这个系列搜集全了。

Hey Bear, look.

嗨,小熊,你看。

Wow. Look at all the fossils.

哇!看看这些化石。

Are you boys interested in fossils?

你们两个对化石感兴趣?

We just got interested today.

我们今天才对它有兴趣。

Oh?

哦?

When we were digging in the garden, we found this.

我们挖菜的时候, 在院子里发现了这个。

My goodness!

天哪!

Would you look at that?

快来看这个呀!

You’ve found a trilobite!

你们发现的是“三叶虫”化石。

We did?!

是吗?

Wow.

哇!

A tribolite!

一个“三叶虫”化石!

You know, I’ve been looking for one of these for years, but it took a couple of sharp-eyed fossil hunters like yourselves to find one.

知道吗?我一直在寻找这么一块化石,好几年了,但是只有有凌厉的眼神的人,比如说你们两个才能找到。

Let’s see if I can find a picture of it in my field guide.

我看看能不能找到它的一幅图,在我的《野外指南》中。

Do you think we should give this to him, Bear?

你觉得咱们是不是应该把这块化石给他,小熊?

He did give us Pluto.

而且他把冥王星给了我们。

What about our museum?

那我们的博物馆怎么办?

Nobody will come without the fossil.

没人会来参观的,如果没有化石。

Well, it is pretty special.

嗯……,它的确很特殊。

Here it is lads.

小伙子们,找到了。

Hey, that’s it!

嘿,就是这个!

Looks just like ours!

和我们的一模一样!

This one lived in the Paleozoic period, before the time of the dinosaur. 它生活在古代,恐龙出现之前。

Neat!

棒极了!

Can you believe it?!

真不敢相信!

And it liked to eat vegetables, didn’t it Mr.Mole?

它喜欢吃蔬菜,是么,鼹鼠先生?

Yeah.

是的。

That’s why it lived in our garden.

所以它会出现在我家的园子里。

Actually, trilobites lived in the sea.

实际上,三叶虫生活在海里。

This area was covered with water hundreds of millions of years ago. 这个地区以前是海洋,当然是在数亿年前。

Gee, that’s amazing.

天哪,真是难以置信!

Ya!

是啊!

Yes, there’s a lot of fascinating history contained in that fossil. 是的,有很多非常有趣的历史隐含在那块化石中。 It’s worth hanging onto.

千万别扔掉。

That looks great, Franklin.

看起来好极了,富兰克林。

It does, doesn’t it?

是啊,不是吗?

I put up signs at the library land the ice cream shop. 我贴了一些启示在图书馆和冰激凌店里。

Did you say at the bottom that it costs two cookies to get in? 你有没有在最后说明要给两块甜饼才能进来参观? For sure…one for me!

当然了……一块给我!

And one for me!

一块给我!

There is going to be a lot of people coming for opening day. 一定会有很多人来参观,在开幕日。

Are you ready?

你准备好了吗?

I’m ready.

准备好了。

Hi guys!

你们好!

I’m here to visit your museum.

我来参观你们的博物馆。

A visitor!

有人来参观了!

Where’d you put our hats?!

你把我们的帽子放哪了?

On the bench beside the paint!

放在油漆旁边的椅子上了。

Just wait.

稍等。

Don’t come in yet, we have to get ready. 先别进来,我们得做好准备。 Put it here Bear.

放在这里,小熊。

Wrong hat, Franklin.

帽子错了,富兰克林。

Put the lid back on the paint.

把盖子放回到油漆上。

Hide it, hide it…good.

藏起来,藏起来……很好。

Leave it…

放那儿别动……

Welcome to the Franklin and Bear museum. 欢迎来到富兰克林-小熊博物馆。 Two cookies please.

要给两块甜饼才能进!

What?

什么?

I think two cookies is a lot.

两块甜饼,太多了!

There’s a lot to see.

里面可看得东西也有很多。

Thank you very much.

非常感谢。

And enjoy the museum.

祝你参观愉快!

For two cookies, I’d better.

花了两块甜饼,最好能愉快。

You’d better throw this rusty old nail away before someone pokes themselves. 你最好把这颗生锈的破钉子扔了,省得扎着别人。

It’s on display.

这是展品!

You put a rusty nail in the museum?

你把生了锈的钉子放在博物馆展出?

That’s what museum have-really old things.

博物馆不就是放这些古老的东西的地方么?

Then what’s this picture doing here?

那这张相片放在这儿干嘛?

That’s a picture of me and Granny.

那张照片是奶奶和我的合影。

That’s not old!

那可不老。

But Granny’s old.

但是奶奶老啊!

She’s even older than that nail.

她比那颗钉子还老呢!

And I paid two cookies for this?

我花了两块甜饼,就为了看这些?

You haven’t seen our fossil yet.

你还没看我们的化石呢!

That’s the best part of the museum.

那可是最好的收藏啊,在本博物馆中。 Oh!

噢!

Now this is interesting.

这个很有趣!

What kind is it?

它是什么东西?

It’s a …umm…

是……嗯……

I can’t remember exactly…but it’s a really big word. 我记不准了……不过,那是个很了不起的词。 It starts with a “B”…no…maybe it’s a “T”…

第一个字母是B……哦,不对……也许是T…… Hmmph…How old is it?

啊?……这生物多少年了?

Really old…

很老了……

Older than Franklin’s Granny.

比富兰克林的奶奶还老。

What do you know about it?

关于它,你们都知道些什么?

Well uh…one day it was living in the sea.

嗯……呃……很久以前,它生活在海里。

And then it turned into a rock!

然后,就变成了一块石头。

That’s why it’s so hard.

所以它会这么硬。

You don’t know anything about it, do you?

你们不知道关于这块化石的任何事情,对吧? I want my cookies back.

把我的甜饼还给我!

What?!

什么?!

You guys are unbelievable!

你们简直令人难以置信!

Good bye!

再见!

Whew.

唷!

Maybe the rest of our visitors won’t ask many hard questions. 或许,其他的参观者不会问这么多难以回答的问题。 Did I tell you it was a fossil?

我有没有告诉你它是块化石?

Yeah, about five times.

有,告诉我五次了!

Beaver was right, this isn’t worth two cookies.

海狸说得对,这根本不值两块甜饼。

That’s for sure.

当然。

Cookie?

吃甜饼么?

No thanks…

不,谢谢……

Mr.Mole told us a lot about this fossil and he didn’t ask us for a cookie. 鼹鼠先生给咱们讲了很多这块化石得知识,却没跟咱们要甜饼。

No, and he gave us Pluto.

没错,他还把冥王星给了咱们。

Follow me, Bear.

跟我来,小熊。

And bring the cookies.

把甜饼带上。

Don’t worry.

别担心。

I wouldn’t forget those.

我不会忘了它们的。

So what kind of animal was it?

那这是一种什么样的动物?

Well…There are no trilobites alive today, but it would have been something like a crab.

嗯……目前,已经没有活着的三叶虫了,它应该有点像螃蟹。

Waw. I didn’t know that.

哇!这点我可不知道。

That’s neat.

太棒了!

Nifty.

棒极了!

Gee, you know everything about fossil Mr.Mole.

天哪,你清清楚楚地了解关于化石的一切,鼹鼠先生。

Well really learned a lot today.

今天我们真的学了很多知识。

Well, we have Franklin and Bear to thank for bringing their fossil here so I could tell you all about it.

嗯,今天,要感谢富兰克林和小熊把化石带到了这里,这样,我才能给你们讲一些关于它的知识。

We’d like you to have it Mr.Mole.

我们愿意把它送给你,鼹鼠先生。

This is where the fossil really belongs.

这才是这块化石该去的地方。

Yeah, you know more about it than anyone.

是啊,你对化石了解得比任何人都多。

That’s very generous of you boys.

你们可真慷慨, 孩子们。

It was generous of you to give us Pluto.

你也很慷慨啊!你把冥王星给了我们。

He gave you Pluto.

他把冥王星给了你们了?

You’re got the whole set?

你们的行星搜集全了?

Will you show it to me?

能给我看看吗?

You can see it on display at our museum.

你们可以见到它们在我们的博物馆里。 For two cookies, right?

得花两个甜饼,对吗?

Sort of.

差不多吧!

But this time we’re giving you a cookie. 但是,这次是我们给你们甜饼。 Huh?

呃?

You’re giving us cookies?

你们给我们甜饼?

How come?

怎么回事?

Yeah, why are you giving them to us? 是啊,为什么给我们甜饼?

Because that’s the kind of thing friends do. 因为这就是朋友该做的。

Great.

太棒了!

We’ll come every day!

我们会每天都来的。

Huh?

什么?

Just kidding.

开个玩笑。

相关推荐