Mission 4. 总结各种名人名言，相关人物、事件及活动、物品、交通工具、抽象事物及高科技等题目的名人名言。 Mission 5. 根据整理出的资料，给每一个题目撰写答案，每个题目需3-5个答案。完成交通工具的题目。
1. Bird of a feather flock together.
Do you prefer to be friends with the people who share the same opinion as you do, or the ones who hold different opinions? 2011.1.15
2. A friend is best found in adversity.
A friend in need a friend indeed.
- Describe one of your friends. And explain why you become friends.
- While choosing a friend, which of the following characteristics do you care about most: honesty; loyalty or sense of humor?
- Loyalty, honest, humor which quality is the most important one for friendship.
3. One man‘s meat is another men’s poison.
- Do you prefer to do your shopping in the store or online?
- Do you prefer to study/ work quietly or somewhere someone listening to the music?
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Students should always study in quiet places.
4. An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening.
- Some students prefer to study or work on difficult class assignments early in the morning. Other students prefer to do this type of work in the evening. Which one do you prefer?
- Some students prefer to do part-time jobs in the evening while others prefer do part-time jobs during the day. Which do you prefer? Explain why.
5. One today is worth to tomorrow.
6. One is never too old to learn.
7. To postpone is not to abandon.
- Do you agree that when their assignments were handed on later than the deadline, the teacher should reduce the students’ score
8. Health is above wealth.
- The university dining hall is changing its food service to include more healthy food with lower calories. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this change?
- Talk about an easy way to keep fit.
- Parents need to make sure their children lead healthy lives, what can parents do to help their children have healthy lifestyles?
- Do you prefer prepared food or self-made food?
- Do you like fast food, why and why not?
9. You should always act towards others as you would wish them to act towards you.
10. Rome was not built in a day.
- Your friend want to increase his/ her score, what suggestions can you give to him/ her? Describe a good study habit that is different from other students. If your friend has difficulties in mathematical exam, what would you like to suggest?
- Which one is more important to the success of a sportsman, physical talent or hard work?
11. Every advantage has its disadvantage.
12. Adversity leads to prosperity.
13. Time past cannot be called back again.
14. An idle youth，a needy age.
15. Rainbow comes after a storm.
- Your friend want to drop out of university or college, do you agree or disagree?
- Describe one important subject but you like least.
- Describe your experience of doing what you don’t want to do.
- Talk about a time when you learnt a new thing/skill/ subject. How did you overcome the difficulties to learn it.
- Describe a time when you are asked to do something you don’t want to do, and what happened as a result?
16. Each age offers its own men of parts.
17. Though the enemy seem a mouse， yet watch him like a lion.
18. Though a lie be well drest， it is ever overcome.
19. Never judge by appearances.
- Describe your favorite musician or actor. / Painter or artist. / favorite movie or TV character.
20. Envy assails the hoblest， the winds howl around the highest peak…… 位高遭人妒，峰高惹风吹。
21. What sculpture is to a block of marble， education is to the soul. 育才如雕石。
- Explain how your country can improve the education system.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents are the best teachers.
1. What do you think we should do to decrease the usage of car or other vehicle and solve the traffic problems?
2. How can city improve the situation overcrowded and excessive cars?
In my view, to decrease the usage of vehicle is not an efficient solution to solve the traffic problems. For one thing, reducing usage of vehicle makes the traffic even worse. In a metropolis as my city Beijing, driving car is limited by government, but at the rush hour, the traffic is still messy and heavy. Problem is that urbanism is out of dated which should be redesign to meet the demand of traffic. For another thing, the public transportation is not adequate to assure a successful daily traffic. More and more commuters need to be transferred to the workplace day in and day off. Without an efficient urbanism or sufficient transportation, traffic problems will always exist.
Traffic problems could be solved definitely by decreasing the car and other vehicle. As every unique metropolis, they do have a same problem, heavy traffic. It’s hard to deny, but it’s true that in my city, the problem get worse because of excessive cars and tolerable traffic policy. One reason is everybody wants to have a car as it’s very convenient meanwhile it’s a status symbol. Over-purchasing of cars renders the road overcrowded and then slows down the traffic. Another reason should be giving: loose policy enables the drivers to own a license too easily and disobey the rules without being punished. Since the rules doesn’t work very well, drivers buy cars just after their obtaining the driving license, then the bad-controlled traffic get messy with no doubt.
Generally speaking, traffic problem results from excessive cars, but it’s hardly appropriate to say that’s the only factor cause every problem, like air pollution, traffic jam, car accidents and time wasting. It’s fact that too many cars bring negative effects; however it isn’t the only one to be criticized. Government and individual drivers should be held partially responsible too. The government should be influential by instilling morels and concepts to encourage people to bike more instead of driving anywhere, for the sake of their health and also the environment. As individual driver, like table manners while eating, we should have traffic manners while driving, such as obey the rules, drive politely, don’t rush, etc. These factors will make a good traffic environment.
3. Which one do you prefer, private car or public transportation?
I favor public transportation over private car. It’s mainly because it’s very environment friendly. Public transportation like buses, subways, trains,
expresses, has a larger capacity comparing to private cars which means with the same mileage, public transportation could carry more people. In this case, public transportation is more fuel efficient and economical. Since the buses and subways have regular schedules, people could search the destination in an instant and locate the place clearly. On the contrary, private car driver may consume more time by searching the location. In addition, public transportation such as subway and train hardly has traffic jam. So public transportation owns more benefits than private car does.
It’s no doubt that private car is much more comfortable than public transportation. In terms of time management, private car overweigh public transportation. As bus or subway, the trip is routine, if you ride a bus, you have to stop and wait at each stop while the bus stops. Conversely, private car offers more flexible trip according to the plan of driver. Second, in terms of condition, private car is more private and hygiene, since it’s your own vehicle. But public transportation cannot reach these standards as it’s provided to public.
In spite of comfortable condition offered by private car, I’d choose public transportation. It’s economical. Since the gasoline price rises up recently, it is not very reasonable to drive private car to commute. In addition, maintenance and insurance also occupy a lot of budget. Public transportation turns to be more acceptable. On the other hand, crowd space is always a pain in neck for the driver, especially, when we go to fancy restaurant or a theater or a shopping mall, looking for a parking lot bothers a lot. Therefore, I would rather to ride bus or subway than drive myself.
4. Do you agree that private cars could drive into the city center?
Of cause the private cars could drive into the city center. First, it will be convenient for many people. Allowing cars into the city center on alternate days will release the traffic pressure and avoiding the traffic jam. Second, it will create more commercial opportunities. Private cars’ drivers will stimulate the consumption in town like parking, eating, shopping.
Private cars drive into city center doesn’t sound a good idea. It will definitely end up by blocking on the road and then taking hours to go back. Besides, more cars will increase the traffic in town and render the road more crowded. Additionally, in some places, private cars are requested to pay extra fees for parking and tax for gas. In the downtown, the charge could cost an arm and a leg. That’s not feasible at all. Furthermore, there will be atmosphere pollution, noise pollution which would evoke some environmental organizations
complains. With all these reasons, no advantage can be detected to allow private cars to drive into city center.