浅析电影《傲慢与偏见》中男女主人公的语言风格

浅析电影《傲慢与偏见》中男女主人公的语言风格

摘要:奥斯汀的《傲慢与偏见》自问世来,其语言风格就被学者们反复推敲与评论。其语言主要表现在对话艺术上的幽默与讽刺,并常以风趣诙谐的语言来烘托任务的性格。笔者于本文中,将以20xx年的电影版本为例,选取影片中男女主人公的个别对话要例,并从语音、词汇、句式、修辞这四个语言要素进行简要分析。

关键词:语言要素 傲慢与偏见 语言风格

20xx年版的《傲慢与偏见》是由乔·怀特导演,马修·麦克费登及凯拉·奈特主演的一部经典电影。该片是最贴合原著的影片,无论是电影场景的设计,还是人物性格的塑造,甚至包括剧本语言的编写,都极力与原著相合。分析此版本中男女主人公的语言,是为让读者们能从本文的分析中进一步体会奥斯汀极具独特风格语言所反映的人物形象及时代背景与思想感情,初步体会她的语言魅力。 本文仅选取语音、词汇、句式、修辞这四个语言要素来简要分析。

一、 完整的语音形式

一个人的发音可以反应这个相应的背景,如社会背景、家庭背景、教育背景等等。片中男主人公达西和女主人公伊丽莎白在说话时,他们从来都不用简写的语音形式。例如,他们会说“I do not”而不是“I don’t”,他们会说“did not you”而不是“didn’t you”。根据发音,我们可以推测出他们的用语十分正式,而使用这种正式用语的人一般是地位较高,身份显赫或是受过良好教育的绅士和淑女。而片中的达西和伊丽莎白正是如此,他们经常参加社交,懂得社交用语。这同样与当时英国的时代背景和文化是相关的,也可反映出十七八世纪的英国上层生活。

片中也用一些辅助语言来表达人物的情感和态度,如大叫、假声、呜咽、大笑、叹息等等。当伊丽莎白得知妹妹私奔的消息时便忍不住哭泣表达出他不知所措和害怕的心情,使得所塑造的人物形象更加贴近现实。

1

二、 精炼准确的词汇

片中达西每每称呼伊丽莎白时都用“Miss”,而伊丽莎白也是如此,总是用“Mr.”来称呼达西,用语十分礼貌,与他们的社会身份十分相配。

我们再看看一段达西和伊丽莎白的对话:

L: I wonder who discovered the power of poetry in driving away love.

D: I thought poetry was the food of love.

L: Of a fine, stout love. But if it is only a vague inclination. One poor sonnet will kill it.

D: So, what do you recommend to encourage affection?

这是达西和伊丽莎白初次见面时两人对于什么能激发爱情的一次对话,从对话中两人的用词可以看出两人受过很高的学术教育,因二人的语言都十分具有文学性,而且运用了比喻、夸张等修辞手法。例如对话中的“food”,“kill”就很好地体现了两人渊博的学识,而且,想必一般百姓也不会将诗与爱情联系到一起。 我们可以再看一段对话:

D: You were dancing with the only handsome girl.

B: She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld. But her sister Elizabeth is agreeable.

D: Perfectly tolerable, not handsome enough to tempt me.

这是达西和他的好友宾利的一段对话,当宾利说及伊丽莎白的姐姐时,用“creature”来形容她,表明宾利对她的倾慕之情。而当宾利问及达西对伊丽莎白的印象时,他却用“tolerable, not handsome enough”来评价一个初次见面的女士,反映出他的高傲与自命不凡,同时从他尖锐的语言里也可看出他是个不善与人交往的人,为片子的后文情景其实也做了铺垫。

片中不同人物在对话时所用的词汇都代表了他们不同性格与心理,这正是奥斯汀的词汇语言魅力。

三、 多样化的句式

片中男女主人公对话中运用了丰富的句式来表现两人情感。如:

D: Is this your reply?

2

L: Yes, sir.

D: Are you laughing at me?

L: No.

D: Are you rejecting me ?

L:I am sure the feeling which hindered your regard will help you ovecome it. D: Might I ask why with so little cilivity I am such repulsed?

L: I might enquire why you told me you like me against you beeter judgement. D: If I was uncivil, then that is some excuse

L: It was uncivil, but it was some excuse. But you know I have another reason. D: What reason?

L: Do you think anything might tempt me to accept the man who has ruined the happiness of a most beloved sister? do you deny that you have separated a young couple who loved each other? do you deny, Mr. Darcy? Exxposing you friend to censure for caprice. and my sister should derision for disppointed hopes and involing them both in acute misery?

这段对话中运用疑问句和反问句,深刻地将伊丽莎白对达西的厌恶之情刻画出来了,同时也将达西内心的不知所措与无奈表达得十分彻底,达西因被伊丽莎白误会而再向其求婚后遭伊丽莎白拒绝,此时他很疑惑,也很不甘心,同时也很无奈,所以他才不停地追问伊丽莎白,而伊丽莎白则因误会达西而反问达西,这疑问句与反问句的对话中,将剧情推向了高潮,同时也为影片渲染出一种紧张的气氛,令观众们不得不为这对情路坎坷的佳人的后续发展而担忧,这就是句式所达到的魅力了!

另外,本片最初伊丽莎白于乡村舞会上不停重复说:“It’s not the same! It’s not the same!”,这里运用重复句式是为表现伊丽莎白活泼开朗的性格,体现出她的自信,然而,接下来她对她姐姐说:“If every man does not end the evening in love with you, then I’m no judging of beauty”。这句诙谐幽默的假设句表现出她性格中尖锐的一方面,为她的傲气做了铺垫。

3

四、 巧妙地修辞手法

奥斯汀的语言主要通过讽刺的手法来揭示人物的内心情感,以表达文章的主题。片中伊丽莎白在乡村舞会上曾问她的姐姐:“Which of the painted peacocks is our Mr. Bindley?”这里运用比喻的手法,将宾利比作彩雀,一方面是说宾利先生很有钱,很招女士们喜欢,另一方面却讽刺了当时社会人们受钱财、地位与利益的驱使而攀附有钱的先生,以求能与其结缘的社会现象,同时表现出伊丽莎白不谙于世的性格特征,另外,伊丽莎白用“the quizzical brow”指代宾利先生,“the miserable half”指代达西,这两个词中一个是用身体的局部指代整体,一个是用物(达西所拥有的财产)指代人,选取这两种指代也是为讽刺两人的权势与钱财,同时也看出伊丽莎白是一个很喜欢评论他人的人,而且话语十分尖锐,这与达西也有共同之处,刚好吻合了傲慢与偏这个主题,也难怪作者将两人设为一对,片中二人因着对对方的种种偏见,再加上自身傲慢的性格,使得二人吃了不少苦头。

而且片中语言上多处都用了对比,如前文中所列举的达西和宾利的对话中,两人在评价自己倾慕的女士时,宾利就十分坦白,还不吝啬对倾慕者进行赞美,而达西则显得十分冷淡与口是心非。这种言语的对比,更加表现了达西那孤高的性格。

《傲慢与偏见》虽经过两个世纪的阅读和批评,却始终能引起长盛不衰、雅俗共赏的兴趣,并对一代代后起作家发生影响,其也被多次排成不同电影版本,而笔者最钟爱20xx年这个电影版本,只因它是最贴近原著的,相信读者们在笔者于此版本中对片中男女主人公语言的简析中也能体会奥斯汀的独特语言魅力。

参考文献:

[1]史青玲 浅谈《傲慢与偏见》的语言风格及其在翻译中的再现 德州学院学报2004,20(5)

[2]王玲玲 浅析《傲慢与偏见》中对任务的语言讽刺艺术 科技信息 2009,34

[3]雷兵 从《傲慢与偏见》电影对白解读语言艺术——电影评介 2009,4

[4]孙仲娜 《傲慢与偏见》中性别语言的分析 考试周刊 2007,(17)

4

 

第二篇:傲慢与偏见05版电影英-中字幕(全)

Lydia! Kitty!莉蒂雅! 凯蒂!

My dear Mr Bennet, have you heard?亲爱的贝纳先生,你听说了吗?

Netherfield Park is let at last. Do you not want to know who has taken it?尼德斐园最后终于租出去了你想知道最后是谁租走了吗?

As you wish to tell me, my dear,I doubt I have any choice in the matter.亲爱的, 如果你想说的话, 我能说不听吗?

Kitty, what have I told youabout listening at the door?凯蒂, 我说过不要在门边偷看

There's a Mr Bingley arrived from the North.有一位叫宾里的先生从北方来了

Five thousand a year!Really?听说年收入五千磅呢!真的?

He's single!Who's single?他还是单身!谁还是单身?

A Mr Bingley, apparently. Kitty!当然是那位宾里先生阿,凯蒂!

How can that possibly affect them?这干她们什么事?

Mr Bennet,how can you be so tiresome?贝纳先生,你怎么好像兴趣缺缺阿?

You know he must marry one of them.你要知道,他要跟她们其中一个结婚

That is his design in settling here?他就是为了这个住在这里?

You must go and visit him at once.你要马上去拜访人家阿

Good heavens. People.你们好阿

For we may not visit if you do not,as you well know, Mr Bennet贝纳先生,你知道如果你不去的话我们也就不会去

Are you listening?. You never listen.You must, Papa! At once!你有在听吗? 你从来都不听我说爸, 你一定要去! 马上!

There's no need. I already have.不用了, 我已经去过了

You have?When?你去过了?什么时候?

Oh, Mr Bennet,how can you tease me so?噢, 贝纳先生,你怎么这样捉弄我?

Have you no compassion for my poor nerves?你都不可怜我的神经吗?

You mistake me, my dear.I have the highest respect for them.亲爱的, 你误会我了我是非常关心它们的 They've been my constant companions these twenty years.它们可是老老实实陪了我二十年了

Papa!爸!

Is he amiable?.Who?他人好不好阿?谁?

Is he handsome?He's sure to be.他帅不帅阿?一定是的

With 5,000 pounds a year,it would not matter if he had warts.凭他年收入5000英磅,就算他耳朵上长了疣都没关系

Who's got warts?谁长疣了?

I will consent tohis marrying whichever girl he chooses.无论他选哪个女孩结婚我都会同意的

So will he come to the ball tomorrow?.I believe so.那他明天会来参加舞会啰?我相信他会

Mr Bennet!I have to have your muslin!贝纳先生!我要拿你的棉布来用

I'll lend you my green slippers!They were mine.我可以借你我的绿拖鞋!那是我的

I'll do your mending for a week.I'll retrim your new bonnet.我会帮你做修补一个礼拜的我会保养你的帽子 Two weeks I'll do it for.我做两个礼拜

It's not the same!It's not the same.这不一样!这不一样

I can't breathe.我不能呼吸了

I think one of my toes just came off.我想我刚掉了一只脚指头

If every man does not end the eveningin love with you,如果在今晚结束前没有男人爱上妳的话,

then I'm no judge of beauty.那我对美女还真没有判断力

1

Or men.No, they are far too easy to judge.或是男人不, 他们好判断多了

They're not all bad.他们并非全是坏的

Humourless poppycocks,in my limited experience.在我有限的经验里,他们都是无趣的东西

One day, someone will catch your eye有一天, 有人会让你迷上的

and then you'll have to watch your tongue.然后你讲话就要小心点了

How good of you to come.你能来真是太好了

Which of the painted peacocksis our Mr Bingley?这么多彩色孔雀里面哪一个才是我们的宾里先生? He's on the right.On the left is his sister.他是右边那个左边的是他妹妹

The person with the quizzical brow?.That is his good friend, Mr Darcy.那那个眉毛很好笑的是谁?那是他的好朋友, 达西先生

He looks miserable, poor soul.He may be, but poor he is not.他看起来一脸讨厌相, 穷鬼看起来是讨厌, 可是他一点都不穷

Tell me.说来听听

10,000 pounds a year,and he owns half of Derbyshire.年收入一万英镑,而且他拥有半个德比郡

The miserable half.很讨厌的那一半

Mr Bennet, you must introduce him to the girls immediately.贝纳先生,你要赶快把他介绍给女孩们阿 Smile at Mr Bingley. Smile.对宾里先生笑. 笑阿

Mary.玛莉.

Mr Bingley, my eldest daughter you know.宾里先生, 你知道的我的大女儿

Mrs Bennet, Miss Jane Bennet,Elizabeth and Miss Mary Bennet.我太太, 珍,伊丽莎白和玛莉

It is a pleasure. I have two others,but they're already dancing.真荣幸. 我还有两个女儿,可是她们已经在跳舞了 I'm delighted to make your acquaintance.很高兴能认识你们

And may I introduce Mr Darcyof Pemberley in Derbyshire.我想向大家介绍德比郡潘柏莱的达西先生 How do you like it here in Hertfordshire?

你喜欢赫特福郡吗?

Very much.非常喜欢

The library at Netherfield,I've heard, is one of the finest.我听说尼德斐的图书馆是国内属一属二的

It fills me with guilt. I'm not a good reader. I prefer being out of doors.这真是让我满怀罪恶感.我不擅于阅读, 我比较喜欢往户外去

Oh, I mean, I can read, of course.喔,当然我的意思是我还看得懂字

And I'm not suggesting.you can't read out of doors.而且我也不是说你不能在户外阅读

I wish I read more, but there seem to be so many other things to do.我希望我能看更多书,可是似乎有更多其它的事要做

That's exactly what I meant.我就是这个意思

Mama, Mama! You will never, ever believe what we're about to tell you.妈, 妈!你绝对不会相信我们要告诉你的事

Tell me!She's going to take the veil.快告诉我!她要去当修女了

The regiment are coming!Officers?民兵团要来了!军人?

They're going to be stationed the whole winter, right here.他们会在这里驻扎一整个冬天

Officers?.As far as the eye can see.军人?近在眼前了

Oh, look.Jane's dancing with Mr Bingley.喔, 看, 珍在和宾里先生跳舞

Mr Bennet.贝纳先生

Do you dance, Mr Darcy?.Not if I can help it.达西先生你跳舞吗?不, 恐怕我没办法

I didn't know you were coming to see me. What's the matter?.我都不知道你来看我什么事?

2

We are a long way from Grosvenor Square,are we not, Mr Darcy?.我们远离格洛维诺广场,是吧达西先生? I've never seen so many pretty girls.我从来没看过这么多美女

You were dancing with the only handsome girl.刚才跟你跳舞的就是这里唯一的美女了

She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld.她是我看过最漂亮的姑娘了

But her sister Elizabeth is agreeable.Perfectly tolerable但是他妹妹伊丽莎白也蛮不错的.只是还好而已

Not handsome enough to tempt me. Return to your partner and enjoy her smiles.还没美到能引起我的兴趣.回去享受你的舞伴的微笑吧

You're wasting your time with me.你这是在跟我浪费你的时间

Count your blessings, Lizzie. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him.想想你多幸运阿, 丽西.如果他喜欢你, 你就要跟他讲

Precisely.一点没错

I wouldn't dance with him for all of Derbyshire,就算给我整个德比郡我也不跟他跳舞,

Iet alone the miserable half.更别提那讨厌的一半

Wait!等一下!

I enjoyed that so much, Miss Lucas.How well you dance, Mr Bingley.我真是太高兴了, 卢卡斯小姐.你跳得太棒了, 宾里先生

I've never enjoyed a dance so much.我从来没有跳得这么高兴过

My daughter Jane is a splendid dancer, is she not?我女儿珍是一个杰出的舞者对吧?

She is indeed.的确是

Your friend Miss Lucas is a most amusing young woman.你朋友卢卡斯小姐真的是最有趣的女人了

Oh, yes, I adore her.喔是阿, 我也很喜欢她

It is a pity she's not more handsome.Mama!她能再漂亮点就更好了.妈!

Oh, but Lizzie would never admit that she's plain.喔, 不过丽西绝对不会承认她很平淡

Of course, it's my Jane who's considered the beauty of the county.当然, 我的珍可是被认为是国内的美女呢 Mama, please!妈, 拜托!

When she was 1 5, a gentleman was so much in love with her,当她15岁的时候就有个男的很爱她呢, I was sure he would make her an offer.我当时想他会对他采取点行动吧

However, he did write her some very pretty verses.不过阿,他是写了很多浪漫的诗句给她

And that put paid to it.那就够了

I wonder who discovered the power of poetry in driving away love.我在想谁发现了诗句会驱走爱情的力量 I thought poetry was the food of love.Of a fine, stout love.我想诗句是爱情的食粮.一个细致而坚固的爱

But if it is only a vague inclination,one poor sonnet will kill it.但如果只是暧昧的表现,只要一篇差劲的十四行诗就能毁了它

So, what do you recommend to encourage affection?那么,你觉得用什么来促进爱情比较好?

Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.跳舞. 即使某人的舞伴只是还好而已

Mr Bingley is just whata young man ought to be.宾里先生真是年轻人的榜样

Sensible, good-humoured...Handsome, conveniently rich...善体人意, 幽默风趣...帅气, 容易有钱...

Marriage should not be driven by thoughts of money.婚姻不应该以金钱的考量为前提

Only deep love will persuade me to marry.只有深爱才会让我想结婚

Which is why I'll end up an old maid.Do you really believe he liked me?这也是我最后会变老处女的原因你真的相信他喜欢我吗?

He danced with you most of the night,and stared at you the rest.他整个晚上大部份时间在和你跳舞,其它的时间就一直看着你

I give you leave to like him.You've liked many stupider.我准许你喜欢他你就像现在大多数的笨蛋一样 3

You're a great deal too apt to like people in general.你也很容易喜欢上一般人

All the world is good in your eyes.在你看起来整个世界都很美好

Not his friend. .I still can't believe what he said about you.除了他朋友以外我到现在还很难相信他怎么说你的 Mr Darcy?达西先生?

I'd more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine.要是他没有伤害我的话,我倒还能原谅他的自负 But no matter.I doubt we shall ever speak again.不过无论如何我想我们以后也不会再说了

He danced with Miss Lucas.他和卢卡斯小姐跳舞了

We were all there, dear.我们都在场, 亲爱的

It is a shame she's not more handsome.真是耻辱,她又没有更漂亮

There's a spinster in the making and no mistake.

有个老处女犯了个错误

The fourth with a Miss King of little standing,第四个跟金小姐跳了一会儿,

and the fifth again with Jane.第五个又回来和珍共舞

If he had any compassion,he would've sprained his ankle.如果他对我还有点同情心的话,他应该早在第一支舞就扭伤脚了

The way you carry on,照你这么说,

you'd think our girls look forward to a grand inheritance.你一定认为我们的女儿可以期待一大笔遗产了 When you die,which may be very soon,等你死了,反正你也快了

they will be left without a roof over their head nor a penny to their name.他们连一毛钱也不会带走的

Please, it's ten in the morning.A letter to Miss Bennet, ma'am.拜托, 现在是早上10点耶夫人, 有一封署名给贝纳小姐的信

From Netherfield Hall.从尼德斐园来的

Praise the Lord. We are saved!赞美上帝 我们得救了!

Make haste, Jane,make haste. Oh, happy day!快呀, 珍,快阿!喔!美妙的一天

It is from Caroline Bingley.凯若琳宾里写来的

She has invited me to dine with her.她邀请我与她一起用餐

Her brother will be dining out. Dining out?.她兄弟会在外面吃饭在外面吃饭?

Can I take the carriage?.Let me see.我可以坐马车去吗?让我看看

It is too far to walk.This is unaccountable of him.用走的太远了他真是莫名奇妙阿, 在外面吃饭

Mama, the carriage for Jane?妈, 马车要给珍用吗?

Certainly not. She'll go on horseback.当然没有. 她要骑马去

Horseback!骑马!?

Lizzie.丽西

Now she'll have to stay the night,exactly as I predicted.这样她今天晚上就得待在那里了就和我预计的一样 Good grief, woman,your skills in the art of matchmaking忧喜参半阿, 女人,你们安排巧合的技艺

are positively occult.还真的是很神奇阿

Though I don't think, Mama,you can take credit for making it rain.可是妈,我可不认为你可以用下雨来居功 "My friends will not hear of me returning home until I am better."在我身体好转前朋友都不会知道我回来了 Excepting a sore throat, a fever and a headache, nothing is wrong with me."It's ridiculous.除了有点头痛, 发烧, 喉咙痛以外,我都很好" 这还真荒谬

If Jane does die it will be a comfort to know it was in pursuit of Mr Bingley.如果珍真的死了她在追宾里先生的事还算让人安慰

People do not die of colds.人才不会因为感冒而死呢

But she may perish with the shame of having such a mother.但是他可能会因为他有这种母亲羞愤而死 4

I must go to Netherfield at once.我必须马上去尼德斐园

Lady Bathurst is redecorating her ballroom in the French style.巴瑟斯特太太正在把宴会厅重新装潢成法国式的

A little unpatriotic, don't you think?有点不爱国, 你不觉得吗?

Miss Elizabeth Bennet.伊丽莎白 贝纳小姐

Good Lord, did you walk here?天阿, 你走路来的吗?

I did.是阿

I'm so sorry. How is my sister?.She's upstairs.真抱歉 我姐姐怎么了?她在楼上

Thank you.谢谢

My goodness, did you see her hem?. Six inches deep in mud.天阿, 你看到她的裙摆了吗?六寸深的泥巴 She looked positively mediaeval.她看起来还真俗气阿

I feel such a terrible imposition.They're being so kind to me.我觉得好不平衡他们对我真好

I don't know who is more pleased at your being here, Mama or Mr Bingley.我真不知道你在这里是谁比较高兴是妈妈还是宾里先生

Thank you for tending to my sister so diligently.感谢你们这么尽力照顾我姐姐

She's in far better comfort than at home.她现在比在家里还舒服

It's a pleasure.你这么说真是荣幸

I mean, it's not a pleasure that she's ill. Of course not.我是说, 她生病了一点都不荣幸.当然不

It's a pleasure that she's here,being ill.她在这里生病才荣幸

Not going to be famous, our pig.我们的猪是不会成名的

Black on the back, but not related to the learned pig of Norwich.背部是黑的, 但是和挪利其那些被教导过的猪是不一样的

Now that pig is...Mr Bennet.现在那些猪...贝纳先生

It's all going to plan.He's half in love with her already.现在一切照计划进行他已经一半爱上她了

Who is, blossom?Mr Bingley.谁开花了?宾里先生

He doesn't mind that she hasn't a penny.他不在乎她一毛钱都没有

He has more than enough for the two of them.反正他有够他们两个用一辈子的钱

How will we meet them?.Easy!我们要怎么见他们?简单!

Wait for me!等等我!

You drop something. They pick it up. And then you're introduced.你掉一样东西, 他们把它捡起来这样你就有露到脸了

Officers!军官先生!

You write uncommonly fast, Mr Darcy.你写得真是异常的快阿, 达西先生

You're mistaken. I write slowly.你错了, 我写得很慢

How many letters you must have occasion to write, Mr Darcy.你平常大概都要写几封信阿, 达西先生 Letters of business.How odious I should think them.我想生意上的信件还真令人作恶

It is fortunate, then,they fall to me and not you.那他们不去妳那边,而到我这边还真是件好事阿

Tell your sister I long to see her.告诉你妹妹我很想见到她

I've already told her once.I do dote on her.我已经跟她说过一次了我真是被她迷住了

I was quite in raptures at her beautiful design for a table.我为她对桌子的美丽设计深深着迷

Perhaps you will give me leave to defer your raptures.你应该会准我延后你的着迷

I have not room enough to do them justice.因为我没有空间来公平的处理它们

You young ladies are so accomplished.你们年轻女孩还真有教养

What do you mean?.You paint tables, play the piano你是什么意思?你们帮桌子彩绘, 弹琴

5

and embroider cushions.还在垫子上绣花

I never heard of a lady,but people say she's accomplished.我还没听说过有人说,年轻女孩没有教养的 The word is applied too liberally.这个字被滥用了

I do not know more than half a dozen women我认识这样的女人不超过6个

that are truly accomplished.Nor I.他们真的都很有教养.我也没有

Goodness, you must comprehend a great deal in the idea.天阿, 你在这方面一定很了解

I do.Absolutely.的确一点都没错

She must have a knowledge of music,singing, drawing, dancing她必须了解音乐, 歌唱, 绘画, 舞蹈 and the modern languages to deserve the word.以及流行语言方面的知识才配得上这个字

And something in her air and manner of walking.还有一些她的气质以及走路的仪态

And she must improve her mind by extensive reading.而且她必须广泛的阅读以促进她的知识

I'm no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women.我不会再因为你只认识六个有教养的女人而惊讶了

I wonder at you knowing any.Are you so severe on your own sex?我怀疑你有认识任何有教养的女人.你对你们女性这么严格吗?

I never saw such a woman. She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold.我从来没见过这样的女人.她一定是个让人看了就怕的东西

Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.伊丽莎白小姐,我们在房间里绕绕吧

It's refreshing, is it not,after sitting so long in one attitude?很提神对吧,尤其又在同一个地方坐这么久 It is a small kind of accomplishment,I suppose.我想这是小小教养的一种

Will you not join us, Mr Darcy?达西先生要不要一起来阿?

You can only have two motives,and I would interfere with either.你们只会有两种动机,而我与两者都抵触 What can he mean?他这是什么意思?

The surest way to disappoint him would be to ask him nothing.最能让他感到沮丧的方法就是不要再问他任何事

Do tell us, Mr Darcy.告诉我们吧, 达西先生

Either you are in each other's confidence你们都互相受对方的信任

and you have secret affairs to discuss,而且你们也有秘密要讨论

or you are conscious that your figures或者是你们认知到你们的体态

appear to the greatest advantage by walking.在你们走路的时候才能展露无遗

If the first,I should get in your way.如果是第一个,那我一定妨碍到你们

If the second,I can admire you much better from here.如果是第二个,我在这个位置才能好好的欣赏你们 How shall we punish him for such a speech?我们要怎么惩罚他说了这种话?

We could laugh at him.No. Mr Darcy is not to be teased.我们可以嘲笑他不, 达西先生是不会被捉弄的

Are you too proud, Mr Darcy?. And would you consider pride a fault or a virtue?你不会太骄傲吗, 达西先生?还有你觉得骄傲是美德还是错误?

I couldn't say.We're trying to find a fault in you.我不能说,我们正在试着在你身上找缺点

I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others,我发现,要原谅别人的无知及罪恶真的很难,

or their offences against me.或者是他们对我的侵犯

My good opinion,once lost, is lost forever.我的良心建议,一步错, 步步错

Oh, dear.I cannot tease you about that.喔, 天阿我不能用这嘲笑你

What a shame,for I dearly love to laugh.这是羞耻阿,因为我非常喜欢笑

A family trait, I think.我想这是家族特性吧

A Mrs Bennet, a Miss Bennet,a Miss Bennet and a Miss Bennet, sir.一位贝纳太太, 一位贝纳小姐,一位贝纳小 6

姐和一位贝纳小姐, 先生

Are we to receive every Bennet in the country?我们该不会接待这个国家里所有姓贝纳的吧?

What an excellent room you have, sir.先生, 你的房间真棒

Such expensive furnishings.好名贵的摆设阿

I do hope you intend to stay here, Mr Bingley.宾里先生, 我真心希望你能够待在这里

Absolutely, I find the country very diverting. Don't you agree, Darcy?当然, 我发现这个地方非常的多元化.是不是阿, 达西?

I find it perfectly adequate.我觉得还好而已

Even if society is a little less varied than in town.即使在这里社交不像城里这么有变化

Less varied?. Not at all.有比较少吗? 一点也不

We dine with four and 20 families of all shapes and sizes.我们和20个各种各样的家庭一起用餐

Sir William Lucas, for instance,is a very agreeable man.例如威廉卢卡斯先生就是个非常好的人

And a good deal less self-important than some people half his rank.一点都不自大,不像某些人因此而降低了他的格调

Mr Bingley,is it true you will hold a ball here?宾里先生, 听说你最近要在这里举办一场舞会是真的吗?

A ball?舞会?

It would be an excellent way to meet new friends. You could invite the militia.办舞会是与新朋友见见面的好方法.你可以邀请军官们来参加

Oh, do hold a ball!Kitty!喔, 办舞会吧!凯蒂!

When your sister recovers,you shall name the day.等你姐姐康复了,就随你们选的日子办

I think a ball is an irrational way to gain new acquaintance.我觉得办舞会来认识新朋友是个很荒谬的事

It would be better if conversation,not dancing, were the order of the day.如果现在的常态是会谈而不是舞会该有多好

Indeed, much more rational,but rather less like a ball.没错, 更为理性,要是舞会的话就不理性多了

Thank you, Mary.谢谢你, 玛莉.

What a fine imposing place to be sure,is it not, my dears?的确是个壮观的好房子, 对吧?亲爱的女儿们 There's no house to equal it in the county.在这个郡里面没有能和这栋房子相比的了

Mr Darcy.Miss Bennet.达西先生.贝纳小姐.

There she is.I don't know how to thank you.她就在那真不知道该怎么谢你

You're welcome any timeyou feel the least bit poorly.随时欢迎你, 希望你没有觉得不快

Thank you for your stimulating company.Most instructive.感谢你促进友情, 这真的很有启发性

Not at all. The pleasure is all mine.不客气, 我也完全享受到这份快乐

Mr Darcy.Miss Elizabeth.达西先生伊丽莎白小姐

And then there was onewith great long lashes, like a cow.然后来了一个睫毛很长的人,像头母牛一样 Ask Mrs Hill to order us a sirloin, Betsy.吩咐希尔太太帮我们订沙朗牛肉, 贝齐.

Just the one, mind.We're not made of money.记住, 只要一份我们可不是钱做的

I hope, my dear,you've ordered a good dinner today.亲爱的, 我希望你吩咐过要准备一顿丰盛的晚餐

I've reason to expect an addition to our family party.我有充分的理由期待今晚会有人来加入我们的家庭聚会 His name's Mr Collins, the dreaded cousin.他叫柯林斯, 一个可怕的表侄

Who is to inherit?.Everything.就是那个来继承的人?没错, 很明显就是所有的东西

Even my piano stool belongs to Mr Collins.连我的钢琴凳都属于柯林斯先生

When?什么时候?

He may turn us out of the house as soon as he pleases.只要他高兴随时都可以把我们轰出家门

The estate passes directly to him and not to us poor females.所有的财产都直接移转给他,而我们这些可怜的女 7

人啥都拿不到

Mr Collins, at your service.我是柯林斯, 为您服务

What a superbly featured room and what excellent potatoes.真是华丽而体面的房间还有这马铃薯真是太棒了 It's many years since I've had such an exemplary vegetable.我已经有好几年没有吃到这么棒的蔬菜了

To which fair cousin should I compliment the excellence of the cooking?为了美丽的堂妹,舅舅我能不能对这完美的厨艺表示点敬意呢?

We are perfectly able to keep a cook.我们完全能负担得起这一餐

Excellent.太好了

I'm very pleased the estate can afford such a living.我很高兴这个庄园能提供这样的生活

I'm honoured to have as my patroness Lady Catherine de Bourgh.我很幸运能有一位女赞助者凯瑟琳 德波夫人 You've heard of her, I presume?我想你应该听说过她吧?

My small rectory abuts her estate,我的小教堂紧邻着他的庄园,

Rosings Park,and she often condescends罗新斯园,而且她总是很谦虚

to drive by my humble dwelling in her little phaeton and ponies.会乘着她的马车到我简陋的寒舍坐坐 Does she have any family?她有家人吗?

One daughter, the heiress of Rosings and very extensive property.一个女儿, 也就是罗新斯园和大笔财产的女继承人

I've often observed to Lady Catherine我经常和凯瑟琳女士说

that her daughter seemed born to be a duchess,她女儿似乎生来就是要当公爵夫人的

for she has all the superior graces of elevated rank.因为她拥有所有超过她的身份的过人魅力

These kind of compliments are always acceptable to the ladies,女士们总是喜欢接受这样的恭维,

and which I conceive myself particularly bound to pay.而我认为这就是我特别有必要去付出的

How happy for you, Mr Collins,对你来说还真幸运,柯林斯先生,

to possess the talent for flattering with such delicacy.拥有如此灵巧的阿谀奉承天赋

Do these attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment这些奉承是出于急智

or are they the result of previous study?或是出于事先研究?

They arise from what is passing at the time.大多是临场脱口而出

And though I do sometimes amuse myself with arranging such little compliments,但我有时也乐于整理一些小小的恭维话,

I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.我一直希望能把它们讲得尽量自然些

Oh, believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed.喔, 相信我,没有人会怀疑你是事先练过的 After dinner, I thought I might read to you for an hour or two.晚饭后,我想我可以为你们读一两个小时经 I have with me Fordyce's Sermons我有本"佛德西讲道"

which speak very eloquently on all matters moral.它把道德的各种内涵描述的很生动

Are you familiar with Fordyce's Sermons,Miss Bennet?贝纳小姐对这本"佛德西讲道"熟悉吗?

Mrs Bennet, I have been bestowed by the good grace of Lady Catherine de Bourgh贝纳太太, 慈善的凯瑟琳 德波夫人有送给我

a parsonage of no mean size.一间还算大的牧师公馆

I have become aware of the fact.我担心了这件事好一阵子

It is my avowed hope that soon I may find a mistress for it.我公开的表示.希望我很快能为它找个女主人 And I have to inform you that the eldest Miss Bennet而我必须告诉你, 最大的那位贝纳小姐

has captured my special attention.特别吸引我的注意

Oh, Mr Collins.喔, 柯林斯先生

8

Unfortunately, it is incumbent upon me很不巧的, 我有义务要告诉你的是

to hint that the eldest Miss Bennet is very soon to be engaged.最大的贝纳小姐很快就要订婚了

Engaged.订婚

But Miss Lizzie,next to her in age and beauty,但是丽西小姐,虽然年纪较小, 姿色也稍次

would make anyone an excellent partner.会是任何人的好伴侣

Do not you agree?. Mr Collins?你不觉得吗? 柯林斯先生?

Indeed. Indeed.的确...的确...

A very agreeable alternative.很不错的替代

Mr Collins is a man who makes you despair at the entire sex.柯林斯先生真的是那种会让你对男人绝望的人 Yours, I believe.Oh, Mr Wickham, how perfect you are.这应该是你的吧.喔, 威卡先生, 你真是完美

He picked up my handkerchief.Did you drop yours on purpose?他把我的手帕捡起来了你是故意把你的弄掉的吗?

Mr Wickham is a lieutenant.威卡先生是中尉

An enchanted lieutenant.What are you up to, Liddy?一个令人着迷的中尉你们在做什么, 莉蒂?

We happened to be looking for ribbon.. White, for the ball.我们刚好在找彩带白色的, 舞会要用的

Shall we all look for some ribbon together?我们能不能一起来看一些彩带阿?

Good afternoon, Mr James.Miss Lydia, Miss Bennet.午安, 詹姆斯先生莉蒂雅小姐, 贝纳小姐

I shan't even browse.我连看都不会看

I can't be trusted.I have poor taste in ribbons.真是不敢相信.我对彩带真是一点品味都没有

Only a truly confident man would admit that.只有真正有自信的男人才会这么说

No, it's true.不, 是真的

And buckles.When it comes to buckles, I'm lost.还有钩子.一讲到钩子, 我就昏了

You must be the shame of the regiment.The laughing stock.那你大概是民兵团之耻.是笑话

What do your superiors do with you?那你的上司怎么对待你的?

Ignore me. I'm of next to no importance,so it's easily done.忽视我. 我还蛮不重要的,所以要忽视我很简单 Lizzie, lend me some money.You already owe me a fortune.丽西, 借我一点钱.你已经欠我一大笔钱了 Allow me to oblige.No, Mr Wickham, please...让我帮点小忙不,威卡先生 , 拜托...

I insist.我坚持

I pity the French..So do l.我真同情法国人.我也是

Look, Mr Bingley.Mr Bingley!看, 是宾里先生宾里先生!

I was just on my way to your house.我正要去你们家呢

How do you like my ribbons for your ball?你觉得我这些买来,用在你舞会上的彩带怎样?

Very beautiful.She is. Look, she's blooming.很漂亮她才是. 看, 她正像开花一样美呢

Oh, Lydia.喔, 莉蒂雅

Be sure to invite Mr Wickham.He is a credit to his profession.记得要邀请威卡先生.他可是军人之光 You can't invite people to other people's balls.你不能邀请人去参加别人的舞会阿

Of course, you must come, Mr Wickham.当然, 你一定要来, 威卡先生

If you'll excuse me,ladies, enjoy the day.恕我失陪, 小姐们.祝你们有个美好的一天

Do you plan to go to the Netherfield ball, Mr Wickham?你有打算去尼德斐园的舞会吗, 威卡先生?

Perhaps. How long has Mr Darcy been a guest there?应该吧. 达西先生来这里多久了?

About a month.大概一个月

Forgive me, but are you acquainted with him, with Mr Darcy?恕我直问,你是不是认识达西先生?

Indeed, I've been connected with his family since infancy.当然, 我从小就和他们家有往来

You may well be surprised,given our cold greeting this afternoon.你可能会觉得很惊讶.尤其我们中午又交谈得 9

很冷淡

I hope your plans in favour of Meryton will not be affected我希望你不会因为与他的关系

by your relations with the gentleman.It is not for me to be driven away.而影响你留在此地的计划.我才不会因此而离开

If he wishes to avoid seeing me,he must go, not I.如果他不想看到我, 他就必须离开.而不是我

I must ask, what is the manner of your disapproval of Mr Darcy?我想问为什么你不喜欢达西先生?

My father managed his estate.家父是他的管家

We grew up together, Darcy and I.我和达西先生一起长大

His father treated me like a second son,loved me like a son.老达西先生对我就像对待另一个儿子一样,也对我视如己出一样疼爱

We were both with him the day he died.当他过世时我们俩都在他身边

With his last breath,在他咽下最后一口气时,

his father bequeathed me the rectory in his estate.他把他庄园里的神父寓所遗赠给我

He knew I had my heart set on joining the Church.他知道我一直想当个神职人员

But Darcy ignored his wishes and gave the living to another man.但是达西先生违背了他的遗嘱把那个位子给了别人

But why?.Jealousy.但是为什么?嫉妒

His father...他父亲...

Well, he loved me better and Darcy couldn't stand it.恩, 他比较疼我,达西先生无法忍受

How cruel.So now I'm a poor foot-soldier.真残忍.所以现在我是可怜的步兵

Too lowly even to be noticed.卑微得不值得注意

Breathe in!I can't anymore. You're hurting.吸气!我不行了, 你弄得我好痛

Betsy.贝齐

Betsy!贝齐!

There must've been a misunderstanding.Jane, you never think ill of anybody.这一定有什么误会珍, 你从来不会把人往坏的方面想

How could Mr Darcy do such a thing?达西先生怎会做这样的事情?

I will discover the truth from Mr Bingley this evening.我今天晚上会在舞会上向宾里先生了解实情

Let Mr Darcy contradict it himself.如果这不是真的,就让达西先生自己去说明

Till he does,I hope never to encounter him.在他说明之前,我希望再也别见到他

Poor, unfortunate, Mr Wickham.可怜的, 不幸的, 威卡先生

Wickham is twice the man Darcy is.我觉得威卡先生比达西先生好上两倍

And, let us hope,a rather more willing dancer.还有, 让我们期待,他是个更积极的舞者

There they are, look.看, 他们在那

Oh, yes.Billy.喔, 没错.比利

Jane Martin is here.珍 马丁在这里

May I say what an immense pleasure it is to see you again.能再见到你真是我极大的荣幸,宾里先生

Mrs Bennet.Miss Bingley.贝纳太太.宾里小姐

Charming.真迷人

I'm so pleased you're here.真高兴看到你在这里

So am I.我也是

And how are you?. Miss Elizabeth?.Are you looking for someone?.你好吗? 伊丽莎白小姐?你在找人吗? No, not at all, I was just admiring the general splendour.不, 完全没有,我只是在欣赏这壮观的布置

It is breathtaking, Mr Bingley.Good.真是让人目不转睛, 宾里先生.很好

10

You might have passed a few pleasantries with Mr Bingley.你应该已经和宾里先生谈过话了

I've never met a more pleasant gentleman in all my years.我这一辈子没有遇过比他更讨人喜欢的绅士了 Did you see how he dotes on her?你知道他对她多着迷吗?

Dear Jane,always doing what's best for her family.亲爱的珍,一直都为她的家里打算

Charlotte!Lizzie!夏洛特!丽西!

Have you seen Mr Wickham?.No. Perhaps he's through here.你有看到威卡先生吗?没有. 他可能在这边吧

Lizzie, Mr Wickham is not here.Apparently, he's been detained.丽西, 威卡先生没有来.很明显的, 他大概被耽搁了吧

Detained where?. He must be here.在哪耽搁? 他应该要来的

There you are.Mr Collins.你们在这阿.柯林斯先生

Perhaps you will do me the honour,Miss Elizabeth.希望你能赏光, 伊丽莎白小姐

Oh, I did not think you danced,Mr Collins.喔, 我想你没跳过舞吧, 柯林斯先生

I do not think it incompatible with the office of a clergyman.我不觉得这和神职人员的职务有何冲突

Several people, her Ladyship included, have complimented me其实有些人, 包括夫人小姐,也曾经称赞过我 on my lightness of foot.轻盈的舞步

Apparently, your Mr Wickham has been called on some business to town.很明显, 你的威卡先生有事到城里去了

Dancing is of little consequence to me, but it does...跳舞对我来说是不怎重要, 不过...

...but it does afford the opportunity to lavish......不过这的确是一个...

... upon one's partner attentions......My informer tells me......对某人的舞伴狂献殷勤的好机会... 我的情报提供者告诉我...

...that he would be less inclined to be engaged, were it not for......说要不是某位绅士的出现, ...

...the presence of a certain gentleman....他不会那么想订婚

Which is my primary object.这就是我的主要目的

That gentleman barely warrants the name.称他绅士还太抬举他了呢

It is my intention, if I may be so bold,我可能太直接了, 但我希望

to remain close to you throughout the evening.今晚都能在你身旁

May I have the next dance,Miss Elizabeth?.我能邀请你跳下一支舞吗,伊丽莎白小姐?

You may.可以

Did I agree to dance with Mr Darcy?I dare say you will find him amiable.我有同意与达西先生共舞吗?我敢说你会发现他人很好

It would be most inconvenient since I've sworn to loathe him for all eternity.可是这好像不太对.因为我发过誓要永远厌恶他

I love this dance.lndeed. Most invigorating.我喜欢这支舞.的确, 最鼓舞人心的

It is your turn to say something,Mr Darcy.该轮到你讲点话了达西先生

I talked about the dance.我讲了关于舞会的事了

Now you ought to remark on the size of the room or the number of couples.现在你应该谈谈这间房子的大小.还有这里的起舞的对数

I'm perfectly happy to oblige.What would you like most to hear?我非常乐意帮忙你最想听什么?

That reply will do for present.这个回答很适合现在的情况

Perhaps by and by I may observe可能我慢慢会发现

that private balls are much pleasanter than public ones.私人舞会会比公开舞会要更让人喜欢

For now, we may remain silent.现在我们可以安静点了

Do you talk as a rule while dancing?妳跳舞时照例要聊天吗?

11

No. No, I prefer to be unsociable and taciturn.不, 不, 我宁可不善交际而且沉默

Makes it all so much more enjoyable,don't you think?这让这一切更让人享受, 你不觉得吗?

Tell me, do you and your sisters very often walk to Meryton?告诉我,你和你的姐妹们常到美乐顿去吗? Yes, we often walk to Meryton.是阿, 我们常走路过去

It's a great opportunity to meet new people.那是个认识新朋友的好机会

When you met us, we'd just had the pleasure of forming a new acquaintance.当你遇见我们,我们只有拓展社交圈的愉快

Mr Wickham's blessed with such happy manners, he's sure of making friends.威卡先生却是因为这样的乐事而喜悦.他真的是在交朋友的

Whether he's capable of retaining them is less so.至于能不能留得住就不知道了

He's been so unfortunate as to lose your friendship. That is irreversible?他失去你这份友谊真是不幸.难道这没办法改变吗?

It is. Why do you ask such a question?.To make out your character.没错. 你问这个做什么?只是想看出你的个性 What have you discovered?.Very little.那你发现了什么?非常少

I hear such different accounts of you as puzzle me exceedingly.我听到对你这么不同的说法.真是让我极度的困惑

I hope to afford you more clarity in the future.我希望往后能让你更清楚点

Is that Mr Darcy of Pemberley?.I believe so.那是潘柏莱的达西先生吗?我想是吧

I must make myself known to him.我必须介绍我自己给他认识

He's a nephew of my patroness,Lady Catherine.他是我一位女施主凯瑟琳女士的侄子

He will consider it an impertinence.他会觉得这是无礼的举动

Mr Darcy.达西先生

Mr Darcy.达西先生

Mr Darcy. Good evening...达西先生, 晚安

What interesting relatives you have.你的亲戚都真有趣

Mary, dear,you've delighted us long enough.玛莉, 亲爱的,妳让我们满足够久了

Let the other young ladies have a turn.让其它的姑娘们也有个机会吧

...since I was a child,and then she died....从我小时候, 然后她就过世了

I have a beautiful grey.我真是灰头土脸

Of course, Caroline's a much better rider than l, of course.当然, 凯若琳骑得比我好多了, 当然

Oh, yes. We fully expect a most advantageous marriage.喔, 是.我们满心期待一桩最有利的婚姻

And my Jane, marrying so grand,must throw her sisters in the way.还有我的珍, 嫁得这么好,一定会帮自己的姐妹一把

Clearly my family are seeing who can expose themselves to the most ridicule.很明显我的家人在比.看谁能把自己暴露得最可笑

At least Bingley has not noticed.No.至少宾里没注意到.才不

I think he likes her very much.But does she like him?我想他很喜欢她.可是她喜欢他吗?

Few of us are secure enough to be in love without proper encouragement.我们大部分都是需要点动力才会恋爱 Bingley likes her enormously,宾里对她如痴如醉

but might not do more if she does not help him on.但是如果她不推他一把的话.大概也是仅止于此

She's just shy. If he cannot perceive her regard, he is a fool.你知道的, 她很害羞. 如果他没办法察觉到她的心意,他还真是个呆子

We are all fools in love.恋爱中的人都是呆子

He does not know her character as we do.他可不像我们这么了解她

12

She should move fast and snap him up.她应该尽快把他抓住

There is plenty of time for us to get to know him afterwards.我们以后有的是时间来认识他

I can't help feeling that someone's going to produce a piglet我不禁觉得有人在做一只小猪(大吃大喝) and make us chase it.然后让我们追它

Oh, dear!I do apologise, sir.喔, 天阿!先生, 我非常抱歉

I'm awfully sorry. Do forgive me.我真的是很抱歉. 请原谅我

Emily, please!埃米莉, 拜托!

Mary, my dear Mary.Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.玛莉, 我亲爱的玛莉.喔亲爱的, 喔亲爱的, 喔亲爱的 I've been practising all week.I know, my dear.我已经练习了一个礼拜了.我知道, 亲爱的

I hate balls.我讨厌舞会

Mr Bennet, wake up.贝纳先生, 醒醒

Oh, I've never had such a good time!喔, 我这辈子从来没这么高兴过

Charles, you cannot be serious.查尔斯, 你可不能认真了

We'll have a wedding here in less than three months if you ask me, Mr Bennet.如果你要的话, 我们可以在3个月内在这儿举行婚礼了, 贝纳先生

Mr Bennet!贝纳先生!

Mary, please.玛莉, 拜托

Thank you, Mr Hill.谢谢你, 希尔先生

Mrs Bennet, I was hoping,if it would not trouble you,贝纳太太, 如果不麻烦的话

that I might solicit a private audience with Miss Elizabeth.我希望等一下能和伊丽莎白私下谈谈

Oh, certainly,Lizzie would be very happy indeed.喔, 当然可以.丽西会真的很高兴的

Everyone, out. Mr Collins would like a private audience with your sister.大家出去吧.柯林斯先生想跟你们姊姊私下谈话

Wait, Mr Collins can have nothing to say to me that anybody need not hear.等一下,柯林斯先生不会有什么不需要让我以外的人知道的事

I desire you will stay where you are.Everyone else to the drawing room.我希望你就待在这.其它人到客厅去 Mr Bennet.But...贝纳先生可是...

Now.现在

Jane. Jane, don't... Jane!Jane.珍. 珍, 不要阿... 珍!珍.

Papa, stay.爸, 留下来

Dear Miss Elizabeth,亲爱的伊丽莎白小姐

My attentions have been too marked to be mistaken.我发现我的感觉很强烈,绝不会错的

Almost as soon as I entered the house,打从我一进这个家门开始,

I singled you out as the companion of my future life.就特别选中你做我的终身伴侣

But before I am run away with my feelings,但是在我失去理性之前

perhaps I may state my reasons for marrying.或许我应该表明我要结婚的理由

Firstly, that it is the duty of a clergyman第一, 在教区里树立一个婚姻的典范

to set the example of matrimony in his parish.是身为一个牧师的责任

Secondly, I am convinced it will add greatly to my happiness.第二, 我相信这会让我非常幸福

And thirdly, that it is at the urging而第三, 她极力的主张

of my esteemed patroness,Lady Catherine,我的赞助者凯瑟琳女士

that I select a wife.我能找一个对象结婚

My object in coming to Longbourn was to choose such a one我来龙柏园的目的就是要挑选这样一位女孩 from among Mr Bennet's daughters,在贝纳先生的女儿中间

13

for I am to inherit the estate由于我将继承这个庄园,

and such an alliance will surely...我相信这样的结合...

...suit everyone....对大家都很合适

And now nothing remains but for me to assure you in the most animated language现在唯一剩下的就是以我最热切的言语来像你诉说...

of the violence of my affections.Mr Collins!我对你澎湃的感情柯林斯先生!

And no reproach on the subject of fortune对于财产的事

will cross my lips once we're married.You forget I have given no answer.一旦我们结婚,我会绝口不提.你太性急了,你忘了我都还没回答你呢

when I speak to her of your modesty, economy and other amiable qualities.当我向凯瑟琳女士表达你的谦逊, 节俭, 还有其它美德的时候

Lady Catherine will thoroughly approve她会完全支持我的

Sir, I am honoured by your proposal,but I regret that I must decline it.先生, 对于你的提议我感到相当荣幸,但遗憾的是我必须拒绝你

I know ladies don't seek to seem too eager...我知道女孩都比较含蓄...

Mr Collins, I am perfectly serious.You could not make me happy.柯林斯先生, 我是很认真的.你没办法让我快乐

And I'm the last woman in the world who could make you happy.而我绝对不可能是能让你快乐的女人 I flatter myself that your refusal is merely a natural delicacy.我认为你的拒绝只是一个直觉的反应

Besides, despite manifold attractions,再说, 撇开种种的吸引力不谈,

it is by no means certain another offer of marriage will ever be made to you.你可能再也没有这么好条件的对象向你求婚了

I must conclude that you simply seek to increase my love by suspense,我的结论是你只是欲擒故纵.藉以加深我对你的爱

according to the usual practice of elegant females.这是优雅女性的惯用手段

I am not the sort of female to torment a respectable man.我不是那种会折磨一位可敬的男性的女性

Please understand me,I cannot accept you.请谅解我, 我无法接受你

Headstrong, foolish child.任性, 愚蠢的孩子

Don't worry, Mr Collins. We'll have this little hiccup dealt with immediately.别担心, 柯林斯先生我们会很快把这个小问题搞定

Lizzie. Lizzie!丽西, 丽西!

Mr Bennet, we're all in an uproar!贝纳先生, 这个家反了!

You must come and make Lizzie marry Mr Collins.你要来说服丽西嫁给柯林斯先生

Mr Collins has proposed to Lizzie,柯林斯先生向丽西求婚,

but she vowed she will not have him,and now the danger is但是她发誓她绝对不嫁给他,现在的危机是 Mr Collins may not have Lizzie.柯林斯先生可能不会想娶丽西了

What am I to do?.Well, come and talk to her.那我要做什么?就~跟她谈谈吧

Now!现在!

Tell her you insist they marry.Papa, please.告诉他你坚持要他们俩结婚.爸, 拜托

You will have this house and save your sisters from destitution.你会拥有这栋房子,还可以把你的姐妹们从穷困中解救出来

I can't marry him.Go and say you've changed your mind.我不能嫁给他.去告诉他你改变心意了

Think of your family.You cannot make me.想想你的家人.不要逼我

Mr Bennet, say something.贝纳先生, 说话阿

14

Your mother insists upon you marrying Mr Collins.你妈坚持要妳嫁给柯林斯先生

Yes, or I shall never see her again.是的, 我再也不想看到她

From this day onward, you must be a stranger to one of your parents.

从今以后,你可能会是你双亲之一的陌生人

Who will maintain you when your father is dead?你爸过世后谁来照顾你?

Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr Collins,如果你不嫁给柯林斯先生,你妈就再也不想看到你了

and I will never see you again if you do.如果妳嫁给他的话,我也再也不想见你了

Thank you, Papa.谢谢你, 爸

Ungrateful child!

I shall never speak to you again.忘恩负义的小孩!我再也不跟你说话了

Not that I take much pleasure in talking.现在我终于有心情讲话了

People who suffer as I do from nervous complaints像我受到这种疲劳轰炸的人...

can have no pleasure in talking to anybody.是没心情跟任何人说话的

Jane!珍!

What's the matter?. Jane?发生什么事了? 珍?

I don't understand what would take him from Netherfield.我不知道有什么事情能把他带离尼德斐园 Why does he not know when he'll return?为什么他说他不知道他什么时候回来?

Read it.拿去看看

"Mr Darcy is impatient to see his sister and we are scarcely less eager."达西迫不及待要见他的妹妹,其实我们也是

I do not think Georgiana Darcy has her equal for beauty,我认为乔琪安娜在美貌, 气质

elegance and accomplishment.I hope to call her hereafter my sister."以及教养上是无人能比的.我希望有一天我能称他为妹妹"

Is that not clear enough?这还不够明白吗?

Caroline sees her brother in love with you凯若琳发现他哥哥爱上妳了

and has taken him off to persuade him otherwise.所以把他带走,然后把他撮合给另一个人

But I know her to be incapable of wilfully deceiving anyone.但是我知道她不会任意的欺骗任何人

It's more likely he does not love me.He loves you. Do not give up.看起来比较像他不爱我.他是爱你的 别放弃 Go to our aunt and uncle's in London,去我们伦敦的叔叔那边,

Let it be known you are there and I am sure he will come to you.让他们知道你在那,我相信他会去找你的

Give my love to my sister and try not to be a burden, dear.告诉我姐妹我想她, 亲爱的.还有不要造成别人的麻烦

Poor Jane.可怜的吉英

Still, a girl likes to be crossed in love now and then.然而,女孩子总是喜欢被爱

It gives her something to think of and a sort of distinction amongst her companions.这起码可以给她一些事情去思考.也可以使她觉得与其它同伴不同

I'm sure that will cheer her up, Papa. 我相信那会令她振奋起来的,爸爸

It's your turn now, Lizzie.现在轮到你了,伊丽莎白

You've turned down Collins. You're free to go off and be jilted yourself.你已经拒绝了柯林斯你现在是自由身了,自己成了甩别人的小姐了

What about Mr Wickham?韦翰先生怎么样?

He's a pleasant fellow and he'd do the job credibly.他是一位不错的年轻人,相信也靠得住

- Father... - And you have an affectionate mother who would make the most of it.- 父亲... - 而且你有一个亲爱 15

的母亲.她绝不会放弃这个机会的

- Charlotte! - My dear Lizzie.- 夏洛特! - 我亲爱的伊丽莎白

I've come here to tell you the news.我来告诉你一个重要的消息

Mr Collins and I are... engaged.柯林斯先生和我...订婚了

- Engaged? - Yes.- 订婚了? - 是的

To be married? 为了结婚的订婚?

What other kind of engaged is there?除此之外,还会有其他的类型的订婚么?

For heaven's sake, Lizzie, don't look at me like that.看在上天的份 伊丽莎白,别那样看着我

I should be as happy with him as any other.嫁给他和嫁给其他任何人对我来说都一样开心

- But he's ridiculous. - Oh, hush.- 但是他的人十分荒谬 - 噢,不要这么说

Not all of us can afford to be romantic.并不是所有的人都能拥有浪漫

I've been offered a comfortable home and protection.他能给我一个舒适安全的家

There's a lot to be thankful for.值得我感激的已经够多了

I'm years old. I've no money and no prospects.我已经岁了,我没有钱,也没什么前途

I'm already a burden to my parents.我已经成了父母的包袱了

And I'm frightened.而且,我害怕了

So don't judge me, Lizzie. Don't you dare judge me.所以,请不要评判我,伊丽莎白。别评判我

Dear Charlotte, thank you for your letter.亲爱的夏洛特,谢谢你的来信

I'm glad the house, furniture and roads are to your taste,很高兴你对你的房子、家具以及舍路都满意 and that Lady Catherine's behaviour is friendly and obliging.也高兴得知那位凯瑟琳女士对你友好和蔼 What with your departure, Jane's to London你走了,吉英去了伦敦

and the militia to the North with the colourful Mr Wickham,有趣的韦翰先生随民兵团去了北方

I must confess, the view from where I sit has been rather grey.我必须承 现在我眼前的景色变得有点灰暗了 As for the favour you ask, it is no favour at all.至于你的请求,根本算不上是请求

I would be happy to visit you at your earliest convenience.我会非常高兴尽早来探望你

Welcome to our humble abode.欢迎光临寒舍

My wife encourages me to spend time in the garden for my health.为了我的健康,我的妻子鼓励我花点时间在花园里面

I think our guest is tired after her journey.我想我们的客人在旅途后已经感到疲惫了

I plan many improvements.我计划了很多改进的方案

I intend to throw out a bough and plant a lime walk.我打算要去掉一些大树桩然后在走道旁种上酸橙树 I flatter myself说句自不量力的话

that any young lady would be happy to be the mistress of such a house.任何一个年轻女士都会为能成为这座房子的主妇而感到高兴的

We shan't be disturbed here.在这里没人打扰

This parlour is for my own particular use.这间工作室是我专用的

Oh, Lizzie, it's such a pleasure to run my own home.伊丽莎白,能打理自己的家真是件高兴的事情 - Charlotte, come here! - What's happened?- 夏洛特,过来! - 发生什么事了?

Has the pig escaped again? Oh, it's Lady Catherine.猪又跑了吗?噢,是凯瑟琳夫人

Come and see, Lizzie.过来看看,伊丽莎白

Great news.好消息

We received an invitation to Rosings from Lady Catherine.凯瑟琳女士邀请我们去罗新斯花园

How wonderful!实在太好了!

Do not make yourself uneasy about your apparel.千万不要为你的衣着担心

16

Just put on the best you've brought.穿上你带来的最好的衣服就行了

Lady Catherine's never been averse to the truly humble.凯瑟琳夫人从来都不会嫌弃简陋

One of the most extraordinary sights in all of Europe.全欧洲最非凡的景色之一

The glazing alone costs upwards of £.光是玻璃窗就花了两万英镑

Come along. Come along.跟着来,跟紧

A little later we'll play cards.晚点我们会玩#9@k牌

Your Ladyship. Miss de Bourgh.尊贵的夫人德·包尔小姐

So, you are Elizabeth Bennet? 那么,你是伊丽莎白·班纳特?

I am, your Ladyship.是的,尊贵的夫人

This is my daughter.这是我的女儿

It's kind of you to ask us to dine. The rug alone cost upwards of £.单这地毯就起码要英镑.感谢你邀请我们一同进餐

Mr Darcy. What are you doing here?达西先生.你怎么会在这里?

Mr Darcy, I had no idea we had the honour.达西先生,没想到会有幸遇到你

Miss Elizabeth, I'm a guest here. 伊丽莎白小姐,我是来这做客的

You know my nephew?你认识我的侄子?

I had the pleasure of meeting your nephew in Hertfordshire.是的,在赫特福德郡,我有幸遇见你的侄子 Colonel Fitzwilliam. How do you do?我是费茨威廉上校 你好

Mr Collins, you can't sit next to your wife.柯林斯先生,你不能坐在你妻子的旁边

Move. Over there.换个位置,到那边去

Harvey, I wonder, could you get me the fish course...哈维,我想你能不能给我那道鱼的菜...

I trust your family is in good health, Miss Elizabeth?我想你们一家身体都健康吧,伊丽莎白小姐? They are, thank you.是的,谢谢

My eldest sister is in London. Perhaps you saw her there.我大姐在伦敦,可能你在那里见过她了

I haven't been fortunate enough...我还未有幸能...

Do you play the pianoforte, Miss Bennet?你会弹钢琴吗,班纳特小姐?

A little, ma'am, and very poorly. 只会一点点,夫人,弹得不怎么样

Do you draw?你会绘画吗?

No, not at all.不,一点都不会

Your sisters, do they draw?你的姐妹呢?她们会绘画吗?

Not one.没有一个会

That's very strange.这倒很稀奇

I suppose you had no opportunity.我猜你们是没机会学吧

Your mother should've taken you to town for the benefit of the masters.你们的母亲应该带你们去城里面投名师才对

My mother wouldn't have minded, but my father hates town.我母亲是不会反对,可是我父亲讨厌城里 Has your governess left you? 你们的女家庭教师走了吗?

We never had a governess.我们从来没有请过女家庭教师

No governess?没有女家庭教师?

Five daughters brought up at home without a governess?家里教养着五个女儿,却不请个女教庭教师? I never heard such a thing.我简直闻所未闻

Your mother must've been a slave to your education.你母亲亲自教育你们,一定累得如同奴隶一般 Not at all, Lady Catherine.凯瑟琳夫人,事实并非如此

Your younger sisters, are they out in society?你的妹妹们有没有哪一个已经出来参加社交了?

17

- Yes, ma'am, all. - All?- 有,太太,全都出来社交了 - 全部?

What, all five out at once? That's very odd.什么,五个姐妹同时出来社交?真奇怪

And you second.你排行第二

The younger ones out before the elders are married?姐姐还没嫁人,妹妹就出来社交?

Your youngest sisters must be very young.你妹妹们一定还很小吧

Yes, my youngest is not .是的,最小的还没到岁

But it would be hard on younger sisters not to have their amusement because the elder is still unmarried. It would hardly encourage sisterly affection.如果年少的妹妹因为年长的姐姐没有结婚而不能进行社交活动.这一点都不会增进姐妹感情

Upon my word, you give your opinion very decidedly for so young a person.真想不到,你这么年轻,倒挺有主见啊

Pray, what is your age?请问,你几岁啦?

With three younger sisters grown up, you can hardly expect me to own to it.我已经有了三个成人的妹妹,你老人家总不会再要我招出年纪来吧

Come, Miss Bennet, and play for us.过来,班纳特小姐,为我们弹奏一曲

- No, I beg you. - For music is my delight.- 不,请饶了我吧 - 音乐会使我高兴

In fact, there are few people in England who have more true enjoyment of music.

实际上目前在英国,没有几个人能像我一样真正欣赏音乐

Or better natural taste.也没有人比我趣味更高

If I had ever learnt, I should've been a great proficient.我要是学了音乐,一定会成为一个名家

So would Anne, if her health would've allowed her.安娜要是身体好,也一定会成为一个名家的

I'm not afflicted with false modesty, when I say I play poorly...我不是假装谦虚,当我说我差的时候... Come, Lizzie, her Ladyship demands it.过来,伊丽莎白,尊贵的夫人要你弹

How does Georgiana get along, Darcy?乔治安娜现在学得怎么样啦,达西?

- She plays very well. - I hope she practises.- 她弹得非常好 - 我希望她有常练习

No excellence can be acquired without constant practice.卓越的技能无一例外需要持久的练习

I've told Mrs Collins this.我对柯林斯夫人说过

Though you have no instrument, you're welcome to come to Rosings and play on the pianoforte in the housekeeper's room.虽然你没有琴,也十分欢迎你来罗新斯花园.在管家的房间里面弹钢琴

You'll be in nobody's way in that part of the house.你在那里不会妨碍任何人

You mean to frighten me by coming in all your state to hear me.你这样走过来听,莫不是想吓唬我? But I won't be alarmed, even if your sister does play so well.尽管你妹妹的确演奏得很好,我也不怕 I know that I cannot alarm you even should I wish it.就算想吓唬你,我知道是没法如愿的

What was my friend like in Hertfordshire?我的朋友在赫特福德郡表现得怎么样?

You really care to know?你真的想知道?

Prepare yourself for something very dreadful.我先得请你不要害怕

The first time I saw him, he danced with nobody,当我第一次见到他时,他不和任何人跳舞

though gentlemen were scarce尽管男客很少

and there was more than one lady without a partner.当时在场的不少女客没有舞伴而闲坐一旁

I knew nobody beyond my own party. 当时舞会上除了自己人,我谁都不认识

Nobody can be introduced at a ball.舞会里是不兴请人介绍女伴的

Fitzwilliam, I need you.费茨威廉,过来

I do not have the talent我没有那种本领

of conversing easily with people I have never met before.能跟新认识的人也谈笑风生

18

Perhaps you should take your aunt's advice and practise.也许你应该听从你姑妈的意见多练习

Dear Jane...亲爱的吉英...

Mr Darcy.达西先生

Please, do be seated.请,请坐

Mr and Mrs Collins have gone to the village.柯林斯夫妇到村里去了

This is a charming house.这是座迷人的房子

I believe my aunt did a great deal to it when Mr Collins first arrived.我相信柯林斯先生初到这的时候凯瑟琳夫人一定在这上面费了好大一番心思吧

I believe so.我相信她的确费了一番心思

She could not have bestowed her kindness她的好心并没有白费

on a more grateful subject.因为没人能比柯林斯先生更感恩戴德了

- Shall I call for some tea? - No, thank you.- 需要为你叫一杯茶么? - 不用了,谢谢

Good day, Miss Elizabeth, it's been a pleasure.祝你愉快,伊丽莎白小姐,与你聊天很愉快

What on earth have you done to poor Mr Darcy?你对可怜的达西先生到底做了什么啊?

I have no idea.我一点头绪都没有

Every mind must have some counsellor to whom it may apply for consolation in distress.

每个灵魂都需要安抚者在悲痛中能安抚你

There are many conveniences which others can supply and we cannot procure.

还有其他很多便利是别人能给予但是我们无法提供的

I have in view those objects which are only to be obtained through intercourse...以我的观点看来,那些便利是需要通过交流来获得的...

Forgive me, through the intercourse of friendship or civility.请原谅我,从友谊和礼节上的交流

On such occasions, the proud man steps forth to meet you not with cordiality,在那种情况下,骄傲的人主动与你接触不是出于他的诚恳

but with the suspicion of one who reconnoitres an enemy...而是出于一个像对敌人般的怀疑...

- How long do you plan to stay? - As long as Darcy chooses.- 你打算住多久 - 达西住多久我就住多久 - I am at his disposal. - Everyone appears to be.- 我得听他调遣 - 看起来每个人都是如此

I wonder he does not marry我不懂他为什么不还不结婚

and secure a lasting convenience of that kind.结了婚不就可以有个人一辈子听他摆布了吗?

She would be a lucky woman. 能成为达西太太,是件幸运的事

Really?真的吗?

Darcy is a most loyal companion.达西是一个对同伴最忠诚的人

He recently came to the rescue of one of his friends.他最近才拯救了他的一个朋友

What happened?发生了什么事?

He saved him from an imprudent marriage.他把他的朋友从一门鲁莽的婚事中拯救出来

Who's the man?那个人是谁?

His closest friend, Charles Bingley.他最亲近的朋友,查尔斯·彬格莱

Did Mr Darcy give a reason for this interference?达西先生有没有说,他为什么要管人家闲事?

There were apparently strong objections to the lady.那位小姐有些条件不大够格

What kind of objections? Her lack of fortune?什么条件?不富裕?

I think it was her family that was considered unsuitable.我想是她的家庭被认为是门不当户不对的

So he separated them? 所以他就去拆散他们?

I believe so. I know nothing else.我想是的,我就知道这些

Miss Elizabeth.伊丽莎白小姐

19

I have struggled in vain and can bear it no longer.我实在没有办法撑下去了

These past months have been a torment.这几个月对于我来说是一种折磨

I came to Rosings only to see you.我来罗新斯只是为了见你

I have fought against judgement, my family's expectation,理智的想法和家族的期望阻挠着我

the inferiority of your birth, my rank.你卑微的出身和我爵位的悬殊也令我迟疑不决

I will put them aside and ask you to end my agony.但我要把这一切统统抛开,请你终结我的痛苦

- I don't understand. - I love you.- 我不明白你在说什么 - 我爱你

Most ardently.最真挚的爱

Please do me the honour of accepting my hand. 请赐予我荣幸,接受我的手吧

Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through,先生,我感激你的挣扎

and I am very sorry to have caused you pain.很抱歉引起你的痛苦

It was unconsciously done.我完全是无心的

- Is this your reply? - Yes, sir.- 这就是你的回复? - 是的,先生

- Are you laughing at me? - No.- 你是在嘲笑我吗? - 不

Are you rejecting me?你是在拒绝我?

I'm sure the feelings which hindered your regard will help you overcome it.我确信,你心中阶级的门槛会帮助你克服痛苦

Might I ask why with so little civility I am thus repulsed?我能否问问,为什么我竟会遭受如此无礼的拒绝? I might enquire那么我能否问问

why you told me you liked me against your better judgement?为什么你说喜欢我是违背了你自己的理智? If I was uncivil,若说我是无礼的

then that is some excuse.那这就是我无礼的理由之一吧

- But you know I have other reasons. - What reasons?- 但我还有别的理由 - 什么理由?

Do you think anything might tempt me to accept the man who has ruined一个毁了我最亲爱的姐姐幸福的人 the happiness of a most beloved sister?怎么会打动我的心去爱他呢?

Do you deny that you separated a young couple who loved each other,你能否认你拆散了一对相爱的恋人 exposing your friend to censure for caprice让你的朋友被大家指责为朝三暮四

and my sister to derision for disappointed hopes,让我的姐姐被大家嘲笑为奢望空想

involving them both in acute misery?让他们双方都受尽了痛苦?

- I do not deny it. - How could you do it?- 我并不否认 - 你怎么能做出这样的事情?

I believed your sister indifferent to him.我认为你姐姐觉得他无关紧要

I realised his attachment was deeper than hers.我觉得他的爱要比她更多

That's because she's shy!那是因为她害羞!

Bingley was persuaded she didn't feel strongly.我说服彬格莱认为,她的感觉并不强烈

- Because you suggested it. - For his own good.- 那都是你说的 - 我这样做是为了他好

My sister hardly shows her true feelings to me.我姐姐连对我都不吐露她的心声

I suppose his fortune had some bearing?我想你是担心她是看上了他的钱吧?

I wouldn't do your sister the dishonour.我无意使你姐姐难堪

- It was suggested... - What was?- 有迹象表明... - 什么?

It was clear an advantageous marriage...这门婚事明显是为了谋取利益的...

- Did my sister give that impression? - No!- 我姐姐给你那种印象? - 不!

No. There was, however, your family... 你姐姐没 然而你的家人...

Our want of connection?你以为我们是为了攀高枝?

- No, it was more than that. - How, sir?- 不,比那更甚 - 怎样更甚,先生?

20

The lack of propriety shown by your mother, younger sisters and your father.你母亲、你妹妹们还有你父亲有失身份的表现

Forgive me. You and your sister I must exclude from this.请原谅我,你和你姐姐当然没有

And what about Mr Wickham?那韦翰先生又是怎么回事?

Mr Wickham?韦翰先生?

What excuse can you give for your behaviour?你对他的所作所为,又能给出什么借口?

You take an eager interest. 你对他倒是十分关心

He told me of his misfortunes.他告诉了我他的不幸遭遇

- Oh, they have been great. - You ruin his chances- 哦,他的确太不幸啦 - 你毁了他

yet treat him with sarcasm.现在还讥讽他

So this is your opinion of me?

这就是你对我的看法?

Thank you. Perhaps these offences谢谢,只怪我老老实实地

might have been overlooked had not your pride been hurt by my scruples about our relationship.

把我以前一误再误、迟疑不决的原因说了出来.所以伤害了你的自尊心.否则你也许就不会计较我得罪你的这些地方了

I am to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?难道你指望我会为你那些微贱的亲戚而欢欣鼓舞吗? And those are the words of a gentleman.?这像是个绅士说的话吗?

Your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others你十足狂妄自大、自私自利、看不起别人

made me realise我早就想好了

you were the last man in the world I could ever marry.哪怕天下男人都死光了,我也不愿意嫁给你

Forgive me, madam, for taking up so much of your time.请原谅,小姐,耽搁了你这么多时间

I came to leave you this.我是来给你这个的

I shall not renew the sentiments which were so disgusting to you.我不会再提起令你极度厌恶的感情

But if I may, I will address the two offences you have laid against me.但请允许我把你对我的两个误会也说清楚 My father loved Mr Wickham as a son.我父亲爱韦翰先生就像爱自己亲生儿子一样

He left him a generous living.父亲留给他一个富裕的生活

But upon my father's death,但自从我父亲去世以后

Mr Wickham announced he had no intention of taking orders.韦翰先生就声称他无意去受圣职

He demanded the value of the living,他要了等值的财产

which he'd gambled away within weeks.然后把他的身家在数周内全部挥霍豪赌输光了

He then wrote, demanding more money, which I refused.然后他就写信给我要更多的钱,遭到我的断然拒绝 After which, he severed all acquaintance.从那以后,与他的联系就完全中断了

He came back to see us last summer,去年夏天,他回来找我们

and declared passionate love for my sister,表示对我妹妹强烈爱慕

whom he tried to persuade to elope with him.我妹妹竟被他打动了心,答应要跟他私奔

She is to inherit £.妹妹她将会继承三万英镑的遗产

When it was made clear he would never receive a penny of it,但他得知自己从中得不到一个便士时

he disappeared.他马上就消失了

I will not attempt to convey the depth of Georgiana's despair.无须赘言,当时的乔治安娜何等失望

She was 9 years old.当时她才岁

As to the other matter, of your sister and Mr Bingley,至于另外一件事,关于你姐姐和彬格莱先生

though the motives which governed me may appear insufficient,虽然我去干涉的动机不够充分

21

they were in the service of a friend.但那是我作为他的朋友的一种义务

Lizzie. Are you all right?伊丽莎白你还好么?

I hardly know.我自己也不知道

Lizzie. How fortunate you have arrived.伊丽莎白,你现在能赶回来真是时候

Your aunt and uncle are here to deliver Jane from London.你的舅舅和舅母把吉英从伦敦送回来了

- How is Jane? - She's in the drawing room.- 吉英怎样了? - 她现在在客厅

I'm quite over him.我已经完全忘却他了

If he passed me in the street, I'd hardly notice.就算在街上和他擦肩而过,我都不会去注意

London is so diverting. It's true.伦敦充满了各种各样有趣的事物,这是真的

There's so much to entertain.那里有很多消遣

What news from Kent?在肯特郡,有什么消息啊?

Nothing.没什么

At least not much to entertain.起码没有什么可以让我消遣的

Men are either eaten up with arrogance or stupidity.男人大多或傲慢或愚蠢

If they are amiable, they have no minds of their own.和蔼可亲的,必定又是没有主见

Take care, my love.注意你的言语,我亲爱的

That savours strongly of bitterness.你这句话充满了苦涩的味道

I saw Mr Darcy when I was at Rosings.在罗新斯的时候,我见到了达西先生

Why did you not tell me?你为什么不告诉我?

Did he mention Mr Bingley?他提到了彬格莱先生吗?

No. No, he did not.没有.他一句也没提

Lizzie, tell Mama!伊丽莎白,告诉妈妈!

Stop making such a fuss.不要再小题大做了

Why didn't she ask me as well? 为什么费斯托太太不把我也邀请上?

Because I'm better company.因为我是个更好的同伴

- What's the matter? - I've just as much right.- 怎么回事? - 我更合适

Let's all go.让我们都去吧

Lydia's been invited to Brighton with the Forsters.丽迪雅被邀请去与费斯托家一同去布莱顿

Sea-bathing would set me up nicely.在海中沐浴将会使我更加美丽

I shall dine with the officers every night.我可以和军官们每晚一起共进晚餐

Papa, don't let her go.爸爸,不要让她去

Lydia will never be easy until she'sexposed herself in some public place.丽迪雅不到公共场所之类的地方去出一出丑是决不肯罢休的

And we could never expect her to do it with so little inconvenience.她这次要去出丑,既不必花家里的钱 ,又用不着家里麻烦

If you do not check her,如果爸爸你不制止她

she'll be fixed as the silliest flirt她会被挂上愚蠢的卖俏者的花名

who ever made her family ridiculous.弄得我们全家都惹人笑话的

And Kitty will follow, as always.吉蒂也会一如既往地有样学样

Lizzie, we shall have no peace until she goes.伊丽莎白,如果不让她去,我们将不得安宁

Is that really all you care about?原来这才是你关心的?

Colonel Forster is a sensible man.费斯托上校是个有见识的人

He will keep her out of any real mischief.他不会让她闯出什么祸事来的

And she's too poor to be an object of prey to anyone.她太穷,谁也不会看中她

22

It's dangerous.爸爸,但是这样做很危险

I am certain the officers will find women better worth their while.我肯定军官们会找到更中意的对象

Let us hope, in fact, that her stay in Brighton will teach her her own insignificance.我们但愿她去了布莱顿以后能意识到自己有多么渺小

At any rate, she can hardly grow any worse.她再坏也坏不到哪里去

If she does, we'd be obliged to lock her up for the rest of her life.如果她真不行的话,我们就把她一辈子关在家里

Lizzie, you're welcome to accompany us.伊丽莎白,我们希望你和我们一起去

The Peak District is not Brighton.山顶区不同于布莱顿

Officers are thin on the ground which may influence your decision.陆军军官都挺消瘦的,这可能会改变你的决定

Come to the Peak District with us,和我们一同去山区吧

Lizzie, and get some fresh air.伊丽莎白,去呼吸一下新鲜空气

The glories of nature. What are men compared to rocks and mountains?大自然的风光,人和山石岂可同日而语? Oh, what are men compared to rocks and mountains?噢,人岂可与山石同日而语

Or carriages that work?或者马车可以?

Where exactly are we?我们现在具体是在那里?

I think we are quite close to Pemberley.离彭伯里相当近

- Mr Darcy's home? - That's the fellow.- 达西先生的家? - 就是他

Very well-stocked lake. I've a hankering to see it.真是一个富饶的湖区 我真的很想去看看

Oh, no, let's not.噢,不要,我们不要去

Well, he's so...他太...

I'd rather not, he's so... he's so...我不打算去,因为他太...他太...

- So what? - So rich.- 他怎么了? - 他太富有了

By heavens, Lizzie, what a snob you are!我的天,伊丽莎白,你还真是势利啊!

Objecting to Mr Darcy because of his wealth.因为达西先生富有就反感他

The poor man can't help it.可怜的他一定很无奈

He won't be there anyway. These great men are never at home.他不会在那里的这些人从来都不会呆在家里的 Keep up.跟上

Is your master much at home? 您的主人在家的日子多吗?

Not as much as I would wish. He dearly loves it here.并没有我所期盼的那么多.但他绝对喜欢这里

If he should marry, you might see more of him.要是你主人结了婚,你见到他的时候就会多些

He's a lot like his father.他与他父亲真的很像

When my husband was ill, Mr Darcy couldn't do enough.我丈夫病了的时候,达西先生都忙不过来

He just organised the servants for me.但他马上为我安排了仆人

This is he, Mr Darcy.这就是他,达西先生

A handsome face.英俊的面庞

Lizzie, is it a true likeness?伊丽莎白,这像他么?

Does the young lady know Mr Darcy?这位年轻的小姐原来跟达西先生相熟?

Only a little.不太熟

Do you not think him a handsome man, miss?你不觉得他是位英俊的少爷吗,小姐?

Yes.是的,很英俊

Yes, I dare say he is.是的,我敢说他是英俊的

This is his sister, Miss Georgiana.这是他的妹妹,乔治安娜小姐

23

She sings and plays all day long.她成天弹琴唱歌

Is she at home?她现在在家么?

Miss Elizabeth.伊丽莎白小姐

- I thought you were in London. - No.- 我以为你在伦敦 - 不

No, I'm not.不,我不在伦敦

No.不在

We would not have come... 我们不会来的,要是知道...

I came back a day early...我提早一天回来了...

I'm with my aunt and uncle.我与我的舅舅和舅母一起来的

And are you having a pleasant trip?你们的旅途愉快么?

Very pleasant.非常开心

- Tomorrow we go to Matlock. - Tomorrow?- 我们明天就去马特洛克 - 明天?

Are you staying at Lambton? 你们是住在兰顿吗?

Yes, at the Rose and Crown.是的,在玫瑰花冠旅馆

Yes.这样啊

I'm so sorry to intrude.非常抱歉,闯入你的家

They said the house was open for visitors. I had no idea.舅舅他们说这是对游客开放的,我自己不清楚- May I see you back to the village? - No.- 我可以送你回村庄去吗? - 不用

- I'm very fond of walking. - Yes.- 我非常喜欢徒步行走 - 是的

Yes, I know.是的,我知道

Goodbye, Mr Darcy.再见,达西先生

This way, sir.这边请,先生

Are you sure you wouldn't like to join us?你真的不和我们一起吃饭吗?

We've just met Mr Darcy.我们刚才才见到达西先生

You didn't tell us that you'd seen him.你没有告诉过我们你曾经见过他

He's asked us to dine with him tomorrow.他邀请我们与他明天一同吃顿便饭

He was very civil, was he not?他是一个很有礼貌的 不是吗?

- Very civil. - Not at all how you'd painted him.- 非常有礼貌 - 他一点都不像你说的那样 To dine with him?和他吃饭?

There's something pleasant about his mouth when he speaks.他说话的样子,让人感觉很愉快 You don't mind delaying our journey another day?你不介意这样会延误行程吧?

He particularly wants you to meet his sister.他特别点名要你去,见见他的妹妹

His sister.他的妹妹

Miss Elizabeth!伊丽莎白小姐!

My sister, Miss Georgiana.我的妹妹,乔治安娜

My brother has told me so much about you,我哥哥给我讲了很多关于你的事情

- I feel as if we are friends already. - Thank you.- 我觉得我们俩就像老朋友一样 - 谢谢

- What a beautiful pianoforte. - My brother gave it to me.- 钢琴真漂亮 - 我哥哥给我的

- He shouldn't have. - I should have.- 他不应该给我的 - 当然应该给

- Very well then. - Easily persuaded, is she not?- 好吧 - 她真容易被说服,不是么?

He once had to put up with my playing.你哥哥曾不得不整晚听着我演奏糟糕的钢琴

- He says you play so well. - Then he has perjured himself.- 但他说你弹得非常好 - 那是他的自欺 I said "quite well". 我是说“挺好的”

"Quite well" is not "very well".是“挺好的”,不是“非常好”

24

I'm satisfied.这样我就满意了

- Mr Gardiner, are you fond of fishing? - Very much.- 嘉丁纳先生,你喜欢钓鱼吗 - 非常喜欢

Would you accompany me to the lake this afternoon?今天下午你有兴趣陪我一起去湖边钓鱼吗?

Its occupants have been left in peace too long.湖边的居民已经离开很长一段时间了

I would be delighted. 乐意之至

Do you play duets, Miss Elizabeth?你会二重奏吗,伊丽莎白小姐?

- Only when forced. - Brother, you must force her.- 除非迫不得已 - 哥哥,你可得要强迫她

Splendid fishing, good company. What a capital fellow.钓鱼棒极了,很好的同伴,小伙子真不错

Thank you so much, Mr Darcy.太感谢你了,达西先生

A letter for you, madam.你的一封信,小姐

Oh, it's from Jane.噢,是来自吉英的

It is the most dreadful news.这真是最可怕不过的消息了

Lydia has run away...丽迪雅逃走了...

...with Mr Wickham....和韦翰先生一起

They are gone to Lord knows where.天知道他们去哪了

She has no money, no connections. I fear she is lost forever.她没钱没势,恐怕再也找不着她了

This is my fault.这是我的错

If only I had exposed Wickham when I should.当初我要是揭露韦翰的真面目就好了

No, this is my fault.不,这是我的错

I might have prevented all this by being open with my sisters.如果我当初告诉我妹妹 就可以阻止这一切的发生

Has anything been done to recover her?有人去找她了吗?

My father has gone to London, but I know nothing can be done.我父亲去了伦敦,但我知道也于事无补 We have not the smallest hope.我们实在不敢存一线希望

Would I could help you.希望我能帮你

Sir, I think it is too late.先生,我想已经来不及了

This is grave indeed. I will leave you. Goodbye.这真令人伤心,我得离开了,告辞

We must go at once.我们要马上启程

I will join Mr Bennet and find Lydia before she ruins the family.我会去找班纳特先生,和他一同寻找丽迪雅,在丽迪雅毁掉这个家以前

Why did the Forsters let her out of their sight?费斯托夫妇怎么竟放心让她离开他们跟前呢?

I always said they were unfit to take charge of her.我一直觉得他们不适合照管她

And now she is ruined. 现在,她已经被糟蹋了

You are all ruined.你们的声名都被玷污了

Who will take you now with a fallen sister?有这样一个堕落的妹妹,现在谁会要你们?

Poor Mr Bennet will now have to fight the perfidious Wickham可怜的班纳特先生不得不和背信弃义的韦翰决斗

and then be killed.他一定会被韦翰活活打死

He hasn't found him yet, Mama.爸爸还没有找到他,妈妈

Mr Collins will turn us out before he is cold.他尸骨未寒,柯林斯先生就会把我们撵出去

Do not be so alarmed. Our uncle is in London helping in the search.别那么惊慌,舅舅正在伦敦帮忙寻找着呢 Lydia must know what this must be doing to my nerves.丽迪雅分明知道这样做对我的神经有多大损害 Such flutterings and spasms all over me!我现在全身发抖,抽筋!

My baby Lydia, my baby!我亲爱的宝贝丽迪 我的小宝宝!

25

How could she do such a thing to her poor mama?她怎么能对可怜的妈妈做出这种事情?

- You can't do that! - Don't be such a baby.- 你不能这样做! - 别孩子气了

- Kitty, give it to me. - Who's it for?- 吉蒂,给我 - 这是给谁的?

It's addressed to Papa.地址上写的是给爸爸的

It's in Uncle's writing.这是舅舅的笔迹

Papa, there's a letter.爸爸,有一封信

- Let me catch my breath. - It's in Uncle's writing.- 先让我喘口气 - 是舅舅的笔迹

- He's found them. - Are they married?- 他找到他们了 - 他们结婚了么?

- I can't make out his script. - Give it to me.- 我看不清他写什么 - 给我

Are they married?他们结婚了么?

They will be if Father settles £ a year on her.如果父亲每年给她一百镑,他们就结婚

That is his condition.这是他的条件

- You will agree to this, Father? - Of course.- 你会接受 父亲? - 当然

God knows how much your uncle must've laid on that wretched man.天知道你舅舅一定在那个卑鄙的人身上花了不少钱

What do you mean?你是什么意思?

No man would marry Lydia没人会为了每年区区一百镑

under so slight a temptation as £ a year.去娶丽迪雅的

Your uncle must've been very generous.你舅舅肯定花了不少钱

Do you think it a large sum?你说,总数会是一个大数目么?

if he accepts less than £. Wickham's a fool

韦翰要是没拿到一万镑就答应娶丽迪雅,那他才是个大傻瓜呢

- Heaven forbid! - Father!- 天地不容! - 父亲!

Lydia married and at too!丽迪雅结婚了,而且才岁!

Ring the bell, Kitty.去拉铃,吉蒂

I must put on my things and tell Lady Lucas.我要穿好衣服去告诉卢卡斯女士这个消息

Oh, to see her face.噢,看看她会是什么表情

Tell the servants they will have a bowl of punch.告诉仆人们,他们将会有一大碗桃子

- We should thank our uncle. - So he should help.- 我们应该去感谢舅舅 - 他应该帮忙的

He's far richer than us and has no children. Daughter married!他比我们有钱得多,又没有孩子。女儿出嫁咯! Is that really all you think about?那就是你关心的?

When you have five daughters, tell me what else will occupy your thoughts.当你有五个女儿的时候,你再告诉我你的想法

Then perhaps you'll understand.到那时,可能你就理解了

You don't know what he's like.你根本连他是个什么人都不知道

- Lydia! - Oh, Mama!- 丽迪雅! - 噢,妈妈!

We passed Sarah Sims in her carriage.我们与莎拉·辛的车擦肩而过

So I took off my glove so she might see the ring.我就脱下手套,好让她看到我的戒指

Then I bowed and smiled like anything...然后我弯腰大笑,就像...

I'm sure she was not half as radiant as you, my dear.我相信她连你一半的风光都没有,我亲爱的

You must all go to Brighton. That is the place to get husbands.你们一定得去去布莱顿,那里才是个找丈夫的地方

I hope you have half my good luck.但愿你们有我一半好运就好啦

Lydia.丽迪雅

26

I want to hear every little detail, Lydia, dear.我要知道每一个细节,丽迪雅,亲爱的

I've been enlisted in a regiment in the North of England.我在北英格兰被应征入伍

Glad to hear it.那真好

Near Newcastle. We travel there next week.

在纽卡斯尔附近,我们下个星期就会去那里

- Can I come and stay with you? - That is out of the question.- 我能和你们一起去吗? - 问都不要问 Monday morning came and I was in such a fuss.星期一到了,我还在大惊小怪

I don't want to hear.我一点也不想听

There was my aunt preaching away as if reading a sermon.舅母一直不住嘴地讲呀,说呀,好像是在传道似的 - She was horrid unpleasant. - Can't you understand why?- 她很不高兴 - 你知道为什么吗?

But I didn't hear a word但我一个字都听不进

because I was thinking of my dear Wickham.因为我满脑子都在惦记我亲爱的韦翰

I longed to know if he'd be married in his bluecoat.我一心想要知道,他会不会穿着那件蓝制服结婚

The North of England, I believe, boasts some spectacular scenery.北英格兰,我相信那里会有很多壮观的景色的 So I thought, who is to be our best man所以我想,如果他不能回来

if he doesn't come back?谁来做我们的傧相呢?

Lucky, he did, or I would've had to ask Mr Darcy.幸好,他回来了,否则我就请达西先生做傧相了

- Mr Darcy! - I forgot!- 达西先生! - 我怎么完全忘了!

But I shouldn't have said a word. 这事我应该一字不提才对

Mr Darcy was at your wedding?达西先生在你的婚礼上?

He was the one that discovered us.就是他找到我们的

He paid for the wedding, Wickham's commission, everything.他给了婚礼的费用和韦翰在军队的委托金等所有费用

But he told me not to tell.但是他告诉我要我保密

- Mr Darcy? - Stop it, Lizzie.- 达西先生? - 不要这样,伊丽莎白

Mr Darcy's not half as high and mighty as you sometimes.有时,达西先生还没你这么盛气凌人呢

Kitty, have you seen my ring?吉蒂,看过我的戒指了么?

Write to me often, my dear.多给我写写信吧,亲爱的

Married women never have much time for writing.结了婚的女人是没有什么工夫写信的

I dare say you won't.我相信你没有

When I married your father, there didn't seem to be enough hours in the day.当年我嫁给你爸爸的时候,时间根本不够用

My sisters may write to me, for they'll have nothing else to do.姐姐们倒可以写信给我,反正她们也没事做 There's nothing so bad as parting with one's children.同自己的孩子离别,真是再难受不过的事

One seems so forlorn without them.他们走了,我好像失去了归宿

- Goodbye. - Goodbye, Lydia. Goodbye, Mr Wickham.- 再见 - 再见,丽迪雅,再见,韦翰先生

Bye, Kitty. Bye, Papa.再见,吉蒂。再见,爸爸

I can't imagine what your father does with all that ink.真难想象这么多的墨水你爸爸以后怎么用得完 Mrs Bennet.班纳特夫人

Did you hear the news, madam? Mr Bingley is returning to Netherfield.你听说了吗?彬格莱先生要回尼日斐花园了

Mrs Nichols is ordering a haunch of pork. She expects him tomorrow.尼可斯夫人订了猪肉,打算明天招待他 Tomorrow?明天?

Not that I care. Mr Bingley's nothing to us.我关心的不是他,彬格莱对我们来说算不了什么

27

I'm sure I never want to see him again, no.我永远都不想再见到他,再也不

We shan't mention a word about it. Is it quite certain he's coming?我们不应该提起这个事情。他确定要回来了吗?

Yes, madam. I believe he's alone.是的,夫人,我想他是一个人来

His sister remains in town.他的妹妹还在城里

Why he thinks we should be interested, I've no idea. 为什么他会认为我们有兴趣,我不知道

Come along, girls.跟我来,孩子们

We better go home at once and tell Mr Bennet.我们最好现在马上回家告诉班纳特老爷

The impudence of the man. I wonder he dare show his face.真是厚颜无耻,我在想他有没有胆量现身 It's all right, Lizzie.没什么的,伊丽莎白

I'm just glad he's alone他一个人来我真高兴

because we shall see less of him.因为这样我们就可以少点见到他

Not that I'm afraid of myself. But I dread other people's remarks.我不是怕自己会怎么样,但我怕人们又要说三道四

Oh, I'm sorry.对不起

He's here. He's here. He's at the door.他到了,他到了,他就在门口

- Mr Bingley! - Mr Bingley?- 彬格莱先生! - 彬格莱先生?

Oh, my goodness! Everybody behave naturally.噢,我的天啊!所有人都表现得自然点

And whatever you do, do not appear overbearing.无论怎样,都不要太傲慢

There's someone with him.还有一个人和他一起来

Mr Whatsisname, the pompous one.叫什么先生,一个自负的人

Mr Darcy? The insolence of it.达西先生?这个傲慢的家伙

What does he think of, coming here?他在想什么,他来这里干什么?

Keep still, Jane. Mary, put that away at once.不要紧张,吉英,曼丽,把它拿开

Find some useful employment.做点有用的事情,帮帮忙

Oh, my Lord, I shall have a seizure, I'm sure I shall.天哪,我要保持冷静,要镇定,我一定要

Kitty.吉蒂

We can't have this here. 这个不能放在这里

Mary, the ribbons, the ribbons.曼丽,那些丝带,丝带

Mary, sit down at once. Mary!曼丽,马上坐好,曼丽!

Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley, ma'am.达西先生和彬格莱先生到,夫人

How glad we are to see you, Mr Bingley.真高兴能见到你,彬格莱先生

There have been many changes since you went away.自从你走了以后,这一带发生了好多事情

Miss Lucas is married and settled.卢卡斯小姐结婚了,有了归宿

And one of my own daughters too.我自己的一个女儿也出了嫁

You will have seen it in the papers, though it was not put in as it ought to have been.

你可能在报纸上看到了吧.上面有消息,不过写得不成体统

Very short. Nothing about her family.非常短,没有她家庭的介绍

Yes, I did hear of it. I offer my congratulations.是的,我的确听说过。恭喜你们

But it is very hard to have my Lydia taken away from me.然而丽迪雅离开我身边,我又觉得难受

Mr Wickham has been transferred to Newcastle, wherever that is.韦翰被调去纽卡斯尔

Will you stay long in the country?你会在乡下呆很长的时间么?

Just a few weeks. For the shooting.只是几个星期,是来打猎的

When you've killed all your own birds,等你把你自己庄园里的鸟儿打完以后

28

I beg you will come here请到班纳特老爷的庄园里来

and shoot as many as you please.你爱打多少就打多少

Mr Bennet will be vastly happy to oblige我相信他一定非常乐意让你来

and will save the best coveys for you.而且会把最好的鹧鸪都留给你

Excellent.太好了

- Are you well, Mr Darcy? - Quite well, thank you.- 你好吗,达西先生? - 非常好,谢谢

I hope the weather stays fine for your sport.我希望天气为你的捕猎保持晴朗

- I return to town tomorrow. - So soon?- 我明天就回城了 - 这么快?

My Jane looks well, does she not?我的吉英看起来不错吧,不是吗?

She does indeed.她的确看起来很好

Well, we must be going, I think.好了,我想我们要走了

Darcy. It's been very pleasant to see you all again.达西,能再次见到你们,我们感到高兴

Miss Elizabeth. Miss Bennet.伊丽莎白小姐,班纳特小姐

You must come again.你一定要再来

Last winter, you promised to have a family dinner with us.去年冬天,你答应要上我们这儿来吃顿便饭 I've not forgot, you see你要知道,我一直都把这事放在心上

At least three courses.至少三道主菜呢

Excuse me.请原谅

Most extraordinary.非常奇怪

We were going to walk in and she was going to say, "Sit down."我们当时走进去,然后她说,“请坐” So, I feel...所以,我觉得...

Oh, it's a disaster, isn't it?噢,这真是一场灾难!

It's been...这是...

- Miss Bennet. - Mr Bingley.- 班纳特小姐 - 彬格莱先生

I'll just go in and I'll just say it.我要直接走进去,然后说出来

Yes, exactly.好,正是要这样

I'm glad that's over.我很高兴我们结束了

Now we can meet as indifferent acquaintances.现在我们两个见面就像素不相识的两个人

Oh, yes.哦,是哦

You cannot think me so weak as to be in danger now.你可别以为我那么软弱,还会招来什么危险

You are in great danger of making him as much in love with you as ever.我看你有极大的危险,会使他如痴如醉地爱你

I'm sorry he came with Mr Darcy. 真抱歉,他把达西先生也带来了

Don't say that.别那样说

Why ever not?为什么?

Jane.吉英

- I've been so blind. - What do you mean?- 我一直那么盲目 - 你说的是什么意思?

Look, it's him. He's back. He's come again.看,是他。他回来了,他又来了

I know this is all very untoward,我知道这一切都很唐突

but I would like to request the privilege of speaking to Miss Bennet.但我希望能有与班纳特小姐交谈的机会 Alone.单独交谈

Everybody to the kitchen immediately.所有人都立即去厨房

Except you, Jane, dear, of course.当然除了你,吉英,我亲爱的

Oh, Mr Bingley, it's so good to see you again so soon.噢,彬格莱先生,能这么快再见到你,真是太好了 29

First, I must tell you I've been the most unmitigated and comprehensive ass.首先,我要告诉你,我是一个最愚昧无知的蠢货

Kitty, be quiet.吉 安静点

Yes.我答应你

A thousand times yes.千千万万次答应你

Thank the Lord for that. I thought it would never happen.谢天谢地。我还以为这永远都不会发生

I am confident they will do well together.我相信他们在一起会幸福的

Their tempers are much alike.他们的性格很相似

They will be cheated assiduously by their servants.他们那么好讲话,会被仆人们欺负的

And be so generous with the rest, they will always exceed their income.他们都那么慷慨,到头来一定会入不敷出的

Exceed their income? He has a year.入不敷出?他一年有五千英镑收入

I knew she did not be so beautiful for nothing.我一向认为她不会白白生得这么美丽

"...must be free from all insincerity. “...要远离所有的违心

She only can address herself effectually to the feelings of others她只能是设身处地去理解他人

whose mind glows with the warmth of sensibility那些人因为情感得到了温暖,思想更为活跃

and whose arguments result from conviction.因为有了信念而善于辩驳

She must feel the influence of those passions and emotions她一定感受到激情和情感的影响

which she wishes to inspire..."她希望能因此激发灵感...”

Can you die of happiness?你会因为太幸福而死去吗?

He was ignorant of my being in town in the spring.他说春天时完全不知道我也在城里

How did he account for it? 他有没有说明是什么缘故?

He thought me indifferent.他以为我不爱他

- Unfathomable. - No doubt poisoned by his sister.- 深不可测啊 - 一定是他妹妹说我坏话的

Bravo. That's the most unforgiving speech you've ever made.精彩!我生平只听到你讲这一句气量小的话 Oh, Lizzie, if I could but see you so happy.噢,伊丽莎白,但愿你也会同样的幸福

If there was such a man for you.但愿你也能找到这样一个人

Perhaps Mr Collins has a cousin.说不定柯林斯还有个堂兄弟

- What is that? - What?- 那是什么声音? - 什么?

Maybe he's changed his mind.也许他改变了主意

Coming!来啦!

Yes?哪位?

Lady Catherine.凯瑟琳夫人

The rest of your offspring, I presume?我想这些就是你其余的孩子们了?

All but one. The youngest has been lately married, your Ladyship.还有一个不在,最小的女儿最近出嫁了 My eldest was proposed to only this afternoon.大女儿下午刚刚订婚

You have a very small garden. 你们这儿还有个小花园呢

Could I offer you a cup of tea?要不要给你倒杯茶?

Absolutely not. I need to speak to Miss Elizabeth Bennet alone.不必了。我要和伊丽莎白·班纳特单独交谈一会 As a matter of urgency.有件要紧的事情

You can be at no loss to understand why I am here.你一定不会不知道我为什么来吧

I cannot account for this honour at all.我完全不明白怎么会当得起你亲自上门这份荣耀

I warn you, I am not to be trifled with.我警告你,我是决不肯让人家来跟我开玩笑的

A most alarming report has reached me.我听到一个极其惊人的消息

30

That you intend to be united with my nephew, Mr Darcy.你试图攀上我的侄儿达西先生

I know this to be a falsehood.虽然我明知这是无稽之谈

Though not wishing to injure him by supposing it possible,虽然我不会那样看不起他,以为他真会看上你 I instantly set off to make my sentiments known.我还是立即过来这里,向你表明我的态度

If you believed it impossible, I wonder that you came so far.你既然认为不可能,又何必大老远跑来 To hear it contradicted.我是想亲耳听到这则消息是假的

Your coming will be a confirmation if such a report exists.如果外界真有这种流言,那么你的来访只会令流言弄假成真

If? You pretend to be ignorant of it?如果?你假装对此事一无所知?

Has it not been industriously circulated by yourself?难道这不是你自己拼命传出去的吗?

I have never heard of it.我从来没有听说过

Can you declare there is no foundation for it?你能保证这次是空穴来风?

I do not pretend to possess equal frankness with your Ladyship.我并不打算装得像你老人家一样坦白 You may ask a question你可以问

which I may choose not to answer.但我有权利选择回答或者不回答

Has my nephew made you an offer of marriage?我的侄子究竟向你求过婚没有?

Your Ladyship has declared it to be impossible.你老人家自己刚刚还说过这绝不可能

Mr Darcy is engaged to my daughter.达西先生早跟我的女儿订过婚了

Now what have you to say?好吧,你还有什么话要说?

If that is the case, you cannot suppose he would make an offer to me.如果当真如此,那你就没有理由认为他会向我求婚

You selfish girl. This union has been planned since their infancy.你真是自私,这门婚事是从他们小时候就定下来的

Do you think it can be prevented by a young woman of inferior birth你以为出身卑贱的你能够从中作梗?

whose own sister's elopement resulted in a scandalously patched-up marriage何况你妹妹与人私奔,靠舅舅出钱资助

only achieved at the expense of your uncle.才勉强结成了一门可耻不堪的婚事

Heaven and Earth!我的上帝啊!

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?难道彭伯里就要这样被你们这些人玷污么?

Tell me once and for all, are you engaged to him?爽爽快快告诉我,你究竟跟他订婚了没有?

I am not.没有

Will you promise never to enter into such an engagement?你愿意答应我,永远不跟他订婚吗?

I will not and I certainly never shall.我不会答应你,我当然永远不答应

You have insulted me in every possible way你把我侮辱得够了

and can now have nothing further to say.我不想再讲了

I must ask you to leave immediately.你现在马上给我离开

Goodnight.晚安

I have never been thus treated in my entire life!我一辈子都没有被这样对待过!

- What is going on? - Just a small misunderstanding.- 发生什么事情了? - 只是个小小的误会

For once in your life, leave me alone!求求你们,让我一个人静一下!

- I couldn't sleep. - Nor I. My aunt...- 我睡不着 - 我也是,我姑妈...

Yes, she was here.是的,她昨晚来过

How can I ever make amends for such behaviour?我真希望我可以为昨晚的事情做出补偿?

After what you've done for Lydia经过丽迪雅的事情后

31

and, I suspect, for Jane, it is I who should be making amends.还有吉英的事情,我想做补偿的人应该是我 You must know.你得知道

Surely you must know it was all for you.你一定得知道,我做这一切都是为了你

You are too generous to trifle with me.你是个爽快的人,绝不会开我的玩笑

You spoke with my aunt last night and it has taught me to hope昨做你与我姑妈的谈话,倒让我觉得事情有了希望

as I'd scarcely allowed myself before.以前我几乎不敢奢望

If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once.请你老实告诉我,你的心情是否还和四月里一样

My affections and wishes have not changed.我的心愿和情感依然如旧

But one word from you will silence me for ever.只要你说一句话,我便再也不提这桩事

If, however, your feelings have changed...如果,你的感觉有所改变的话...

...I would have to tell you,...我想告诉你

you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love...你把我的躯体和灵魂都占据了,我爱...

I love... I love you.我爱...我爱你

I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.从今天起我不想与你分开

Well, then.唔

Your hands are cold.你的手好冷

Shut the door, please.请关门

Lizzie, are you out of your senses? I thought you hated the man.你疯了吗?我以为你讨厌那个人

- No, Papa. - He is rich, to be sure.- 不,爸爸 - 他当然有的是钱,那是肯定的

And you will have more fine carriages than Jane.可以使你的马车比吉英的更加豪华

But will that make you happy?难道这就会使你幸福吗?

Have you no other objection你认为我对他并没有感情

than your belief in my indifference?除此以外,你还有别的反对意见吗?

None at all.一点没有

We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of fellow.我们都知道他是傲慢而不易亲近的人

But this would be nothing if you liked him.不过,只要你真正喜欢他,这也无关紧要

I do like him.我真的喜欢他

I love him.我爱他

He's not proud. I was wrong.他不傲慢. 我是错的

I was entirely wrong about him.我以前对他的看法是完全错的

You don't know him, Papa. If I told you what he was really like,你不了解他,爸爸。如果我告诉你他真正的一面 what he's done...他做的事情...

What has he done?他做了什么?

But she doesn't like him. I thought she didn't like him.但她不喜欢他,我以为她不喜欢他

So did I. So did we all.我也是这样想,我们以前都这样认为的

We must have been wrong.我们都错了

It won't be the first time, will it? 这也不是第一次吧?

No, nor the last, I dare say.不,我敢说,也不会是最后一次

Good Lord.我的天

- I must pay him back. - No.- 我必须要偿还他 - 不

You mustn't tell anyone. He wouldn't want it.你不能告诉其他人 他不希望那样

We misjudged him, Papa.我们误解他了,爸爸

32

Me more than anyone. In every way.我对他的误解比你们都深,都深

Not just in this matter.并不只是这件事

I've been nonsensical.我真是愚昧无知

But he's been a fool about Jane,但在吉英的事情上,他就像个蠢蛋一样

about so many other things.对很多事都是这样

But then, so have I.但是,我也是一样

You see, he and I are...你知道的,他和我...

He and I are so similar.他和我挺像的

We're both so stubborn.我们两个的性格都很固执

Papa, I...爸爸,我...

You really do love him, don't you?你真的是很爱他,不是吗?

Very much.非常爱

I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you.我真不敢相信有人会配得上你

But it seems I am overruled.现在看起来,是我看错了

So I heartily give my consent.我衷心地祝福你们

I could not have parted with you, my Lizzie, to anyone less worthy.我是不想把你随便嫁给别人,我的伊丽莎白 Thank you.谢谢你

If any young men come for Mary or Kitty,如果有其他年轻的小伙子来找曼丽或者吉蒂

for heaven's sake, send them in.看在老天的份上,让他们进来吧

I'm quite at my leisure.我现在的生活可真是清闲

How are you this evening, my dear?你睡得好吗?亲爱的?

Very well.非常好

-Only I wish you would not call me "my dear". -Why?- 希望你别再叫我“亲爱的”了 - 为什么?

Because it's what my father always calls my mother when he's cross about something.因为每当我父亲生气时才会如此称呼我母亲

What endearments am I allowed?那我可以怎么称呼你呢?

Well let me think...哦,让我想想看

"Lizzie" for everyday寻常日子叫我“丽兹”

"My Pearl" for Sundays星期天可以叫我“小傻瓜”

and...另外…

"Goddess Divine but only on very special occasions.在某些情况下,可以叫我“神气活现”

And...what should I call you when I am cross?那么,我生气时该怎么叫你呢?

"Mrs. Darcy"?达西夫人?

No! No.不…不

You may only call me "Mrs. Darcy"...你只能在以下的情况下叫我“达西夫人”

when you are completely, and perfectly, and incandescently happy.即当你完完全全、千真万确、毫无疑问地觉得幸福时

Then how are you this evening... Mrs. Darcy?

你今晚过得怎么样?

Mrs. Darcy达西夫人?

Mrs. Darcy达西夫人

Mrs. Darcy达西夫人

Mrs. Darcy达西夫人

Mrs. Darcy达西夫人

33

34

相关推荐